What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

H. sarracenioides cultivation

• Thread starter raycer491
  • Start date
Hey all,

Recently got myself a piece of this one. Gonna be fun getting it through the summer, thankfully I've got a cool basement and great air circulation. Fingers crossed I'll be able to keep the mold off it.

Wondering if there are any cultivation tips for this species, there's not much out there on it. My specimen's from Ptari, but in the published description in the CPN authors deliberately refrain from mentioning sympatric Heliamphora.

I've got a setup planned for a cool, circulated space with t5s, following Av8or1's designs. Should I do something else?

Thanks!

This is Av8or1's page:
Heliamphora Cultivation

I don't think there is that much variation among the different species of Heliamphora with regards to what they prefer. Yes, there are easier species like Heliamphora minor or Heliamphora nutans but beyond that their requirements are pretty similar: high light, cool daytime temperatures, and cold nighttime temperatures. If you can provide those conditions I'm pretty sure you can grow most, if not all of them successfully. My first species was purpurascens and I was able to grow it pretty well in an impromptu setup until I had to leave for school, so I would say just give it a try. You never know what works until you do so.

I've been told that H. sarracenioides is just as easy as minor, heterodoxa, or nutans. You probably don't even need a special setup as long as you keep the temperatures under 80 most of the time. It will grow better in high humidity of course.

wheee this will be fun, i might make this a running thread!

H. sarracenioides needs to be fed fairly regularly or growth will stop and a slow decline may start.
If fed, its easy....

ymmv

if I've got small divisions (2.5 inch tall, 1 inch tall) and I'll probably be feeding them with 1tsp/ maxea per gallon

do you find fungus to be a problem and do you treat anything with fungicide?

Pathogenic fungi are symptomatic of other fundamental issues that need to be addressed. Fungicides not only kill the harmful fungi but also may kill the beneficial fungi.

It should only be used as a last resort. I don't think I've ever used it on heliamphora

Fix the problem, not just the symptom 😜

Av

Last edited:
Back