What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OwO what's this?

Just noticed some little leaflets forming on both ends of my pitcher plant! I do not know what species this is, but do they look familiar? I'm guessing some variant of sarracenia.

Can you repost the picture from a different photo site, because Photobucket doesn't work right anymore.

Does this work?
4zS7U_X6Ufr5XC4CHqw83y7ESl7RtUIUqLT1bI_gJNa4D2ME6G_OAJdD0eRpM1h0FTYbkgyrA7i0i9o=w1225-h766

<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0T3gelonW2VdjQ2eVN1ZzlLWW8/preview" width="640" height="480"></iframe>

Last edited by a moderator:
Flickr is a good website for hosting photographs. If you want something a bit simpler, imgur is quick and easy.

In any case I was able to view your picture, and it's certainly a Sarracenia but you'll have to wait for some pitchers to finish developing and open before anyone will be able to say much more.

It looks like you have another growth point on the rhizome.

It's another growth point, a new pitcher will develop. Make sure to keep it in full sun and plenty of distilled water, so the pitcher to develop properly.

As [MENTION=5343]Not a Number[/MENTION] mentioned, yes, it does. I bought it from lowes and it was already trying to grow from both, so I have decided to leave it. I think it;s growing pretty well actually. The two largest pitchers have started to swell a bit, and more little ones have popped up. Here it is!
epBzFRWm.jpg

5XbJCakm.jpg

Last edited:
Update- the first pitcher just opened, should I feed it?
2Ej281L.jpg

It is definitely sarracenia! To me, it's too young to tell what it could be.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Yeah, it's pretty tiny. Here's a penny for scale!
EFZB4Zgl.jpg

If it was from one of the Lowes starter kits, your plant is S. rubra ssp. rubra.

Here is an image of an adult Sarra from one of those starter kits I picked up a couple years ago. As a juvenile it looked similar to yours.

attachment.php

Lowes Rubra

Looks pretty good!Mine just opened another pitcher today, it has a pretty nice red color due to the grow light it is under. I almost forgot it came with a VFT- which started rotting and I had removed. Today I got back from a trip to see that a tiny VFT was growing! It hasn't opened yet, but it's only about 1cm tall! I'm planning on making a grow log to talk about all this type of stuff. :-D
w6J4x7Ml.jpg

Bumfd3pl.jpg

Congratulations, your rubra is looking good.

Congratulations, your rubra is looking good.

Thank you! I think I will need to repot it soon though. The soil has gone funny (it smells and the new growth is a bit weird, noticed algae, etc.). I'm planning on ordering soil that is pre-mixed from here (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FKPAI9C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1). Do you have any precautions you would take for the repotting? I'm also thinking of using a bigger pot this time, maybe 8 or 10 inches. For scale, the previous one was 6 inches.
Pictures!
nUc9n7cl.jpg

mbMtHgTl.jpg

Last edited:
Back