Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Heliamphora 'patasola'

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonsEye View Post
    Whist "butchipooensis" does have the amusing ring of a "pet name", in many circles it is considered quite gauche to name an organism after oneself ... and Butch certainly isn't that.
    Pokie could have submitted the name -- and preserve Butch's modesty . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You also can't submit Latinized names for cultivar titles, so that rules out basically all those ideas (thank goodness :P )
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gorges plant. Congrats! I haven't tried Hellys yet but I might have to after I get the new grow area setup.
    Earth laughs in flowers. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson,
    Grow List
    https://www.terraforums.com/forums/g...ml#post1210879

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    You also can't submit Latinized names for cultivar titles, so that rules out basically all those ideas (thank goodness :P )
    You're not supposed to be able to, but 'Mangomarginata' got accepted somehow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Butch, its a very nice and great looking heliamphora hybrid you got there. Great deep red color, and very big and well shaped pitchers and spoons.

But, in my opinion, that plant do not deserve a cultivar status.
    A simple search on google can show hundred of heliamphora with the same looking.

Dont get me wrong, you have a wonderfull plant, but not special enough for a cultivar status, in my opinion.

But ICPS will probably accept your registration anyway, so see you in the december issue

For those who think im just 'jealous', i already registered the first heli cultivar ever, so im clearly not 'jealous'.

Its just my opinion

Cheers guys

Francois B.
    Maiden

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maiden View Post
    Butch, its a very nice and great looking heliamphora hybrid you got there. Great deep red color, and very big and well shaped pitchers and spoons.

But, in my opinion, that plant do not deserve a cultivar status.
    A simple search on google can show hundred of heliamphora with the same looking.

Dont get me wrong, you have a wonderfull plant, but not special enough for a cultivar status, in my opinion.

But ICPS will probably accept your registration anyway, so see you in the december issue

For those who think im just 'jealous', i already registered the first heli cultivar ever, so im clearly not 'jealous'.

Its just my opinion

Cheers guys

Francois B.
    I respectfully disagree,

I know of no other 12" tall, colorful and pubescent Heliamphora that shows the characteristics that this one does. Much less one that equals its vigor and growth rate.
    This plant went from seed to flowering adult in under four years, that alone qualifies this for cultvar status.

and I am the breeder of this unique plant, it did not exist before now.

I simply do not agree that there are hundreds of heliamphora online with the same traits.

But you have a right to your opinions, as do I...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maiden View Post
    Francois B.
    Really, Francois? I had not realized that. Which one was it?

With regards to "worthiness" I do not know how such things are determined with cps. I do know that within the orchid realm, there are quite a few lookalike hybrids -- and I would agree that many of them do not, IMO, deserve named status. Assuming that cp "officials" utilize similar guidelines as those for orchids (and it is obviously just an assumption on my part), then determination of worthiness goes something like this ....

To become a named cultivar does not require any real judgment of "worthiness." However, being aregistered, awarded cultivar most certainly does require being judged as exceptional. Being awarded affects the value of the plant -- both monetarily and as breeding stock. An unawarded plant getting registered is not done though one can get the name "recorded". As such, it will be treated little different than naming one's dog. (Just because you named your dog "Rex", that does not mean anyone is going to find your mutt valuable for breeding or more valuable than any other dog at the pound.) On the other hand, a plant that has been awarded by a panel of impartial judges knowledgeable in the field can get registered with a clonal name. It actually must be awarded several times to be eligible for registration.

To be given a "varietal" name, the particular individual must have unique and/or outstanding characteristics compared to other individuals of that species. Only species may be given a varietal name.

Hybrids within the same cross -- and it does not have to be the same exact two parent plants -- are compared to one another. So if plant A is a hybrid of a species/hybrid plant X x a species/hybrid plant Y and gets awarded, then any future plants created from making that same cross will be compared to plant A to determine if it is either an improvement over plant A or has desirable, unique traits worthy of be recognized by a different clonal name. Two similar looking hybrids of different lineage will not be compared to each other. Primary hybrids (hybrids created through crossing two different species) are generally awarded based on whether the hybrid displays a marked improvement in size, appearance, or unique combination of traits in comparison to the either parent species.

{Now ya'll know more than you probably ever wanted to about orchid naming ... }

In the case of Butch's heli, the improvement in size and color over the parents would very likely justify registration and naming if it were an orchid.
    "Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast