What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heliamphora 'patasola'

Finally submitted her to icps for publication then official cultivar status

patasola_pitcher.jpg

http://bluegrasscarnivores.com/patasola/2017/patasola_pitcher.jpg

:grin:
Av

Very nice.

So what all is involved in obtaining cultivar status? I know with orchids, one goes through an official "governing" body like the RHS. Does the ICPS serve that same function?

I know you mentioned it at some point, but what led to that particular choice of name?

Good luck and congratulations. I look forward to reading about it in the next ICPS Newsletter.

Very nice.

So what all is involved in obtaining cultivar status? I know with orchids, one goes through an official "governing" body like the RHS. Does the ICPS serve that same function?

I know you mentioned it at some point, but what led to that particular choice of name?

Dragon, I think it is standard procedure that the plant is first published in an appropriate journal (icps newsletter in our case) then officially submitted
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cp/cultivars/register

The Patasola or "one foot" is one of many myths in South American folklore about female monsters from the jungle, appearing to male hunters or loggers in the middle of the wilderness when they think about women. The Patasola appears in the form of a beautiful and seductive woman, often in the likeness of a loved one, who lures a man away from his companions deep into the jungle.

I spent a long time looking for the "right" name :)

and thanks you two, I am looking forward to it.
It's been a long time coming.... and a special thanks to pokie.
It is being published and submitted under both our names.

Last edited:
I'd grow it :-O

What's the parentage of this cultivar? Is it particularly red, or is that just this pitcher?

I'd grow it :-O

What's the parentage of this cultivar? Is it particularly red, or is that just this pitcher?

Its pedigree is parva x folliculata
The depth of color depends on the lighting of course but it has the genetic ability to become very red as shown.
It owes that trait to folliculata.

Congratulations to you and the pokie! Patisola, huh? No butchyii; tincherensis; butchipooensis; butchtincheriiiiiiiii?

Congratulations to you and the pokie! Patisola, huh? No butchyii; tincherensis; butchipooensis; butchtincheriiiiiiiii?

Whist "butchipooensis" does have the amusing ring of a "pet name", in many circles it is considered quite gauche to name an organism after oneself ... and Butch certainly isn't that. :)

Whist "butchipooensis" does have the amusing ring of a "pet name", in many circles it is considered quite gauche to name an organism after oneself ... and Butch certainly isn't that. :)

Pokie could have submitted the name -- and preserve Butch's modesty . . .

You also can't submit Latinized names for cultivar titles, so that rules out basically all those ideas (thank goodness :p )

Gorges plant. Congrats! I haven't tried Hellys yet but I might have to after I get the new grow area setup.

You also can't submit Latinized names for cultivar titles, so that rules out basically all those ideas (thank goodness :p )

You're not supposed to be able to, but 'Mangomarginata' got accepted somehow.

Butch, its a very nice and great looking heliamphora hybrid you got there. Great deep red color, and very big and well shaped pitchers and spoons.

But, in my opinion, that plant do not deserve a cultivar status.
A simple search on google can show hundred of heliamphora with the same looking.

Dont get me wrong, you have a wonderfull plant, but not special enough for a cultivar status, in my opinion.

But ICPS will probably accept your registration anyway, so see you in the december issue :)

For those who think im just 'jealous', i already registered the first heli cultivar ever, so im clearly not 'jealous'.

Its just my opinion :)

Cheers guys

Francois B.

Butch, its a very nice and great looking heliamphora hybrid you got there. Great deep red color, and very big and well shaped pitchers and spoons.

But, in my opinion, that plant do not deserve a cultivar status.
A simple search on google can show hundred of heliamphora with the same looking.

Dont get me wrong, you have a wonderfull plant, but not special enough for a cultivar status, in my opinion.

But ICPS will probably accept your registration anyway, so see you in the december issue :)

For those who think im just 'jealous', i already registered the first heli cultivar ever, so im clearly not 'jealous'.

Its just my opinion :)

Cheers guys

Francois B.

I respectfully disagree,

I know of no other 12" tall, colorful and pubescent Heliamphora that shows the characteristics that this one does. Much less one that equals its vigor and growth rate.
This plant went from seed to flowering adult in under four years, that alone qualifies this for cultvar status.

and I am the breeder of this unique plant, it did not exist before now.

I simply do not agree that there are hundreds of heliamphora online with the same traits.

But you have a right to your opinions, as do I...

Francois B.

Really, Francois? I had not realized that. Which one was it?

With regards to "worthiness" I do not know how such things are determined with cps. I do know that within the orchid realm, there are quite a few lookalike hybrids -- and I would agree that many of them do not, IMO, deserve named status. Assuming that cp "officials" utilize similar guidelines as those for orchids (and it is obviously just an assumption on my part), then determination of worthiness goes something like this ....

To become a named cultivar does not require any real judgment of "worthiness." However, being aregistered, awarded cultivar most certainly does require being judged as exceptional. Being awarded affects the value of the plant -- both monetarily and as breeding stock. An unawarded plant getting registered is not done though one can get the name "recorded". As such, it will be treated little different than naming one's dog. (Just because you named your dog "Rex", that does not mean anyone is going to find your mutt valuable for breeding or more valuable than any other dog at the pound.) On the other hand, a plant that has been awarded by a panel of impartial judges knowledgeable in the field can get registered with a clonal name. It actually must be awarded several times to be eligible for registration.

To be given a "varietal" name, the particular individual must have unique and/or outstanding characteristics compared to other individuals of that species. Only species may be given a varietal name.

Hybrids within the same cross -- and it does not have to be the same exact two parent plants -- are compared to one another. So if plant A is a hybrid of a species/hybrid plant X x a species/hybrid plant Y and gets awarded, then any future plants created from making that same cross will be compared to plant A to determine if it is either an improvement over plant A or has desirable, unique traits worthy of be recognized by a different clonal name. Two similar looking hybrids of different lineage will not be compared to each other. Primary hybrids (hybrids created through crossing two different species) are generally awarded based on whether the hybrid displays a marked improvement in size, appearance, or unique combination of traits in comparison to the either parent species.

{Now ya'll know more than you probably ever wanted to about orchid naming ... :D }

In the case of Butch's heli, the improvement in size and color over the parents would very likely justify registration and naming if it were an orchid.

It's like parva but it's red, bigger and it grows faster (as far as I can tell). The only other difference is it has a somewhat smaller nectar spoon. To me this qualifies it as a cultivar--it's the same principle as "hummer's giant," but also with a color difference.
Four years from seed to flower--that's quite amazing...

Last edited:
Huge congrats there Butch!! :banana2:
I have a sibling to H. patasola and can vouch for the growth rate and SIZE. Because of that one plant, I was forced to build a home made grow chamber :water:

Huge congrats there Butch!! :banana2:
I have a sibling to H. patasola and can vouch for the growth rate and SIZE. Because of that one plant, I was forced to build a home made grow chamber :water:

muwahahahahahaha my plan all along...... :awesome:

Last edited:
Back