What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mixed up feelings with growing Sarras

• Thread starter takitza
  • Start date
Hey guys,

My sarracenias have grown very little during this year (like in all years until now) and now that the autumn came, they started growing and developing pitchers. What could I go wrong with? Is it possible to give a sarracenia too much sun?
The water I use has below 50ppm tds and I've kept them in full sun all day with the media moist.
This in the picture is the only one surviving. A s. Purpurea and s. psittacina have already died.

Thanks for the help
1c5d421b2b8f2de3070b28e0c9bbe880.jpg

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Hey guys,

My sarracenias have grown very little during this year (like in all years until now) and now that the autumn came, they started growing and developing pitchers. What could I go wrong with? Is it possible to give a sarracenia too much sun?
The water I use has below 50ppm tds and I've kept them in full sun all day with the media moist.
This in the picture is the only one surviving. A s. Purpurea and s. psittacina have already died.

Thanks for the help
1c5d421b2b8f2de3070b28e0c9bbe880.jpg

While I’m no expert on the subject, I can at least offer this and hope it helps.

That looks like a hybrid. Not just any hybrid but an unkillable beast of one that gets quite large. They might appreciate a little shade in the afternoon when the sun is harsh but I grow one like that on my north facing porch in full sun and it got huge. As to the pitchering out of season I’d need to know if you just got that particular one that is still alive and when. Also what general part of the world are you in?

While I’m no expert on the subject, I can at least offer this and hope it helps.

That looks like a hybrid. Not just any hybrid but an unkillable beast of one that gets quite large. They might appreciate a little shade in the afternoon when the sun is harsh but I grow one like that on my north facing porch in full sun and it got huge. As to the pitchering out of season I’d need to know if you just got that particular one that is still alive and when. Also what general part of the world are you in?
Romania. We get around 35-40*C in the summer. Right now the temperatures are enough to trigger a vft's dormancy little by little (around 10-14*C during the day, 5-7*C during night) and we currently had loads of rainy days.
I must say that I was never able to grow a Sarracenia almost at all and never got a vft off dormancy yet.
Droseras and Nepenthes work like a charm, though :D

It shouldn't need shade if it is kept moist
How old is the media /what does the media consist of?
If you can smell the bottom of the pot, does it smell earthy or sour?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

The media is not sphagnum peat moss but regular peat moss with 3.5-4 ph and no added fertilizers. I've also flushed it thoroughly with water below 40ppm. They have been transplanted this spring, after getting out of dormancy.
The soil worked for droseras and nepenthes, although my vft grew smaller. But it's fine nonetheless.

The media is not sphagnum peat moss but regular peat moss with 3.5-4 ph and no added fertilizers. I've also flushed it thoroughly with water below 40ppm. They have been transplanted this spring, after getting out of dormancy.
The soil worked for droseras and nepenthes, although my vft grew smaller. But it's fine nonetheless.

Are you sure it's not Sphagnum peat moss? Usually when growing carnivorous plants, we use Sphagnum peat moss (looks like soil) or dried Sphagnum (looks like dried yellow moss) , if you're not using one of those then that could be an issue.
Additionally, are you using anything in your media besides peat? I.e coarse silica sand, sponge rock, or perlite?

Are you sure it's not Sphagnum peat moss? Usually when growing carnivorous plants, we use Sphagnum peat moss (looks like soil) or dried Sphagnum (looks like dried yellow moss) , if you're not using one of those then that could be an issue.
Additionally, are you using anything in your media besides peat? I.e coarse silica sand, sponge rock, or perlite?

Nothing more. I assume that you're looking for something that might change the ph?
The thing is, but there is not the time to discuss now, that no sarracenias have grown to me. Not even when i let them in their pot (assuming they had the right soil)

No, I don't worry much about the ph at all
I'd worry far more about whether or not the roots are getting enough aeration
If they don't get enough oxygen in the pure peat (which is likely to be the case), then their roots might just keep rotting

Dews are pretty resilient and generally may not mind the pure peat but I would imagine that in the long run, VFTs would also suffer eventuality from not having aerated roots

No, I don't worry much about the ph at all
I'd worry far more about whether or not the roots are getting enough aeration
If they don't get enough oxygen in the pure peat (which is likely to be the case), then their roots might just keep rotting

Dews are pretty resilient and generally may not mind the pure peat but I would imagine that in the long run, VFTs would also suffer eventuality from not having aerated roots

Got it. Will mix with perlite, then. Should I do it this autumn or in spring?

It is worth mentioning the only shade mine get are from the boughs of a tree in the neighbors yard. So more like an hour or two of dappled light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is worth mentioning the only shade mine get are from the boughs of a tree in the neighbors yard. So more like an hour or two of dappled light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, that's more than fine
In the wild plenty of the plants get full sun all day long without trees to block the Florida, Alabama, Mississippi etc sun

Got it. Will mix with perlite, then. Should I do it this autumn or in spring?

I would think about doing it now if the peat that it is sitting in is more than a year old, even if it isn't, I would still consider it

When you repot it, I'd suggest half perlite half peat as a basic mix but be careful of breathing in the dust emitted by the perlite

Back