User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just got a Sarracenia, but I don't know how to give it a winter dormancy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow Cephalotus and Drosera filiformis outside of a terrarium under very bright, cool colored LEDs (I can't remember exactly how cool, but between 5000-6500k, and the lumen output is about 2600). They could definitely use more light, particularly based on the Drosera's performance outside, but the Cephalotus is developing some nice reds and the Drosera always has dew and red glands. I keep my plants very, very close to the lights, however (2-3"), which is probably impossible in a terrarium. On the other hand, it's Sarracenia, so you shouldn't really need a terrarium. My method would be prohibitively expensive for any large number of plants, but if you only have one Sarracenia I bet you could get it to work. You would certainly need to use LED's, however, as they're the only bulbs cool enough not to fry the plants (I realize you're already planning to). Also you might have to use slightly brighter bulbs than I do, since I do get some light coming in a window, though not nearly enough and it's never direct light.
    The worst thing [about being an adult] is when you realize that oreos are just OK
    --Zach Weinersmith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by schmiggle View Post
    I grow Cephalotus and Drosera filiformis outside of a terrarium under very bright, cool colored LEDs (I can't remember exactly how cool, but between 5000-6500k, and the lumen output is about 2600). They could definitely use more light, particularly based on the Drosera's performance outside, but the Cephalotus is developing some nice reds and the Drosera always has dew and red glands. I keep my plants very, very close to the lights, however (2-3"), which is probably impossible in a terrarium. On the other hand, it's Sarracenia, so you shouldn't really need a terrarium. My method would be prohibitively expensive for any large number of plants, but if you only have one Sarracenia I bet you could get it to work. You would certainly need to use LED's, however, as they're the only bulbs cool enough not to fry the plants (I realize you're already planning to). Also you might have to use slightly brighter bulbs than I do, since I do get some light coming in a window, though not nearly enough and it's never direct light.
    I remember seeing some hanging LED grow lights on Amazon that were reasonably priced. I'll have to look them up again but I could hang it from the bar above the plants and put it as close to the plants as I needed to. I've moved the plants to my kitchen where they get direct sun all afternoon, but I'm sure they would still benefit from more light.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You really need to be careful with hanging lights--I assume you mean basically string lights. I was going to use them in my own terrarium, but the lumen output is often questionable and not necessarily as listed. They also often get quite hot.
    If you mean corn bulbs, those are fine and not usually subject to the same problem.
    The worst thing [about being an adult] is when you realize that oreos are just OK
    --Zach Weinersmith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by schmiggle View Post
    You really need to be careful with hanging lights--I assume you mean basically string lights. I was going to use them in my own terrarium, but the lumen output is often questionable and not necessarily as listed. They also often get quite hot.
    If you mean corn bulbs, those are fine and not usually subject to the same problem.
    The lights I'm thinking of are LED grow bulbs (standard E26/E27 base, 18W) on the end of a long cord that you can hang wherever you need to, not string lights. I'll make sure to avoid string lights for my other terrarium though. What's a corn bulb?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Googling it will be clearer than my explaining it. It's sort of like a bunch of small LED's around a cylinder. it's called a corn bulb because it's vaguely like a corn cob where every seed is an LED.
    --Zach Weinersmith

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123