User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just got a Sarracenia, but I don't know how to give it a winter dormancy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got a Sarracenia, but I don't know how to give it a winter dormancy.

Hi all. I went to a terrarium event and got three new plants (which I now have to transplant again since she didn't give me the correct information and I'm too new at this to have known) and one of them was a Sarracenia. I asked her for the species name and she said it was Sarracenia Judith Hindle, but I looked it up online and the pictures look nothing like my plant. Someone on this forum said it might actually be Sarracenia Purpurea. Pics are here if you'd like to look yourself. Right now it's in with other plants that it shouldn't be with, and I plan to separate them into their own pots. My question is how do I give the Sarracenia a winter dormancy? I tried searching for this question but maybe I used the wrong search terms because I didn't find it. I hadn't planned on keeping a plant that needed a dormancy but now that I have one I want to make sure it lives happily and thrives. Any suggestions are welcome, and I appreciate all your help. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all, unless you moved the plants for the picture they need more light. Second, that's definitely purpurea. If you have space, one option is to leave it outside over the winter, though you'd need to protect it from cold winds with mulch or something similar (this, of course, assuming you live in an area that gets cold in the winter). Alternatively, I believe you can just stick the pot in the fridge for a couple of months. I don't really know the details of that method.
    The worst thing [about being an adult] is when you realize that oreos are just OK
    --Zach Weinersmith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, deff. needs more light. Way more. Your third option for dormancy is to skip it this season and make sure it gets it next year. That is probably what I would do in your case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsmanshorn View Post
    Yup, deff. needs more light. Way more. Your third option for dormancy is to skip it this season and make sure it gets it next year. That is probably what I would do in your case.
    The picture was taken late in the day with the blinds closed, so it does get more light than that. I can't put the plant outside in full sun because I don't have a safe place to put it. Is an east or west facing window going to be enough for now? I plan on building a large terrarium setup so I can give it more light once I get that up and going. I have the tank now, I just need to get lights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my admittedly limited personal experience with wild plants, these like dappled light for most of the day at a minimum with probably a few hours of direct sunlight outside. I don't know how bright your window is, but it would be pretty tough to get that sort of light in the long term. In the short term, you might be ok--I've had to leave carnivorous plants in lighting situations that were far less than ideal for several months and they're doing great. I think the trick is that they need to get enough light the rest of the year that they have energy stored for poor lighting conditions.
    If you haven't already, see this caresheet for Sarracenia:
    http://www.growcarnivorousplants.com...les.asp?ID=258
    The worst thing [about being an adult] is when you realize that oreos are just OK
    --Zach Weinersmith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by schmiggle View Post
    In my admittedly limited personal experience with wild plants, these like dappled light for most of the day at a minimum with probably a few hours of direct sunlight outside. I don't know how bright your window is, but it would be pretty tough to get that sort of light in the long term. In the short term, you might be ok--I've had to leave carnivorous plants in lighting situations that were far less than ideal for several months and they're doing great. I think the trick is that they need to get enough light the rest of the year that they have energy stored for poor lighting conditions.
    If you haven't already, see this caresheet for Sarracenia:
    http://www.growcarnivorousplants.com...les.asp?ID=258
    That care sheet was really helpful and informative. I might talk with my neighbors and ask if I can leave the plant on their back porch (which is connected to our stairwell--I live in a weird building). That might be the best place for it. I don't have my own space but maybe I can make it work. They have a kid, which worries me, but it would be better than putting it in the courtyard out front where it might get stolen. Thanks for the link.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wild plants in proper health certainly don't get dappled light; the shorter species maybe more so but they tend to grow in either the most open parts of a bog or where the bog gets more regular burns or clearing. Full sun is necessary for proper health of a Sarracenia, or where that is not possible then long days under very strong artificial lighting.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    Wild plants in proper health certainly don't get dappled light; the shorter species maybe more so but they tend to grow in either the most open parts of a bog or where the bog gets more regular burns or clearing. Full sun is necessary for proper health of a Sarracenia, or where that is not possible then long days under very strong artificial lighting.
    What do you recommend for artificial lighting? I have a miniature greenhouse that I could easily add lights to.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast