What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wind Desiccation

• Thread starter Scuipici
  • Start date
Can a fan directly at Sarracenia cause wind desiccation. I keep sarracenia and vft in a cold room for dormancy (0-6 celsius) with a fan working 24/24 directly at them. Will this cause wind dessication? should i move the fan in a different direction, so it doesn't face the sarracenia? It gets too cold here for them in the winter, down to -25, so this room will have to do until I build a greenhouse in the spring.

Sarracenia is very hard but 24 hours dry wind for many days seems to me a bit harsh.
This is probably bad for all living plants.
Much less time and not direct on the plant should be enough to avoid mold.

Sarracenia is very hard but 24 hours dry wind for many days seems to me a bit harsh.
This is probably bad for all living plants.
Much less time and not direct on the plant should be enough to avoid mold.

I will move the fan in a different direction then. Thanks for the help.

If you have the option of an osculating fan, that would be better so they can have some nice air flow but not constantly. I use fairly big fans in both of my greenhouses in this manner. If it is a stationary fan, I think I'd opt to have it not hit them directly.

Depends, in part, as to just how strong the wind is. All you really need is enough power to keep the air from being stagnant. Having the fan directed along one side of the room even on its lowest setting will eventually create a gentle "cyclone" of air within a room. That would lessen the concern of drying the plants out while still reducing or eliminating the stagnant air so many fungi enjoy. You could also set a shallow tray of water (preferably with pumice, hydroton pellets, or other wicking material) in front of the fan so the air blowing over it will pick up some of the evaporating moisture and spread it into the room.

Last edited:
Can a fan directly at Sarracenia cause wind desiccation. I keep sarracenia and vft in a cold room for dormancy (0-6 celsius) with a fan working 24/24 directly at them. Will this cause wind dessication? should i move the fan in a different direction, so it doesn't face the sarracenia? It gets too cold here for them in the winter, down to -25, so this room will have to do until I build a greenhouse in the spring.

As the air is 0-6C it will be relatively dry and air movement over the plant will cause some water transfer from the plant to the air, if the roots don't replace that lost water then yes it is possible to desiccate the plant.
Previous comments are correct, a large constant air movement over the plant is not necessary, more a gentle movement.
Cheers
Steve

Back