What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. leucophylla refrigerator overwintering?

• Thread starter jerrysmith
  • Start date
I bought a S. leucophylla this year. It's my second. The first died one winter along with other Sarracenia hybrids. They were kept in my unheated detached garage. They did freeze at maybe 10F or so for a week maybe.

I read they are native further south than VFT. My logic said I should try going for winter dormancy in the same way I do for VFT: Remove from pot and store in moist Peat Moss in a closed plastic bag in the refrigerator. I did this Friday night. I have done it for VFT for a few years now.

So, what comments do you all have? Have I totally blown it and sacrificed my plant? Do I have a chance of success?

As long as the peat is barely damp, you keep an eye out for a fungal attack, respond promptly should it occur and don't leave the plant in the fridge too long, you will most likely be fine.

I used to grow sarracenia and it does get cold enough in the NY/NJ area to make growing them outdoors here iffy if you didn't have a bog. I'd always lose a few each winter. I'd echo what's been said and to regularly check for signs of mold. Good luck to you.

I am planning on keeping it in the refrigerator until the point where I take the VFT out. My old memory fails me for the date at this point. I have to check. I'm going to say mid to late March. Last frost date is normally early to mid May for planting tomato transplants outdoors.

After the plant has been in dormancy for three months or so, you might want to pay it some extra attention. I sometimes start having trouble around that time.

After the plant has been in dormancy for three months or so, you might want to pay it some extra attention. I sometimes start having trouble around that time.

By extra attention, do you mean more checking for mold? Checking for growth?

Yup, check for mold and also signs its beginning to rot.

Back