What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this Sarr. Barba dying or dormant?

• Thread starter Lucied
  • Start date
Hello, I want to ask about my Sarracenia Barba which is one of my first CP so it experienced some negligence.

First thing to note is I live in Jakarta, Indonesia. A tropical country without winter. I read that it should be stored in a cool place to induce dormancy. But in here all of the grower never induce dormancy n just keep them outside all the times. Same as VFT. A discussion in the local forum even mentioned that locally growed Sarra/VFT here (from seedlings or hardening) never need a dormancy & thats still unbelievable by foreigner when they bring the topics. So What do you guys think about this? Because now there is 4 Sarracenia plants in my house.

And for this Barba's problem
Its resume :

- Its arrived 3 months ago when Jakarta is under bizzare phenomenon that the temperature suddenly dropped cold during the night until morning. Maybe around 25C-28C/77F-83F
- The media is pure LFS with Perlite with water tray
- I put it in a bright place but not fullsun
- Due to my inexperience as CP grower, I give it foliar spray with weakened solution and some drops of Hydrogen Peroxide/H2O2 into the media
- After sometimes, the leaves started to brown from the tips around the hood and from its base near the rhizome
- Now its all brown n I removed all of the dead leaves
- I checked the roots multiple times during the process, 1month ago, the roots is still light brown and a greeny roots on the other end. Until now the roots still looks the same.

b4dd0e8c_3576_412a_9f41_6da32f49969e.jpg

13b16a61_9c35_43b7_8ed0_1113115ab84b.jpg

2months ago
a75e0521_8557_44e9_9f0a_2034a3bad637.jpg

Recently
d27d285d_74de_4618_b4eb_05f39819b644.jpg
cbc84321_0f98_4bec_ae21_22f6a2e30a4d.jpg

Now im just putting it into my germination pot of Sarracenias under growlight
fa16fa21_ca41_4f56_add0_b88a1ee5440a.jpg

Is it dead or dormant? Thx!

It doesn't look very good to me but you can check by giving the rhizome a squeeze. Dead plants will have a soft and squishy rhizome. It seems unlikely to me that sarrs can actually grow long term without a dormancy. What might have happened is after a few years the plants weaken to where they die much more easily to various stresses.

It's unquestionably dead, rhizome rot. When the center of the plant turns brown before the rest of the leaves and the plant is that small, the entire rhizome is gone and the plant isn't returning. That the roots are still white doesn't matter, the portion that can actually sprout new growth is gone and they'll follow eventually. Also, "cold" for a Sarracenia is below 15 F, not 70 which wouldn't even phase it, and the majority of Sarracenia might survive several years without a true dormancy, but generally do end up weakening and dying after a while and will be more susceptible to disease without.

Ahh I see. Thx a lot for the complete explanations. Now i will bury it in peace

Back