What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free range Sarrs

• Thread starter ChefDean
  • Start date
I'm curious. I live in Tennessee, which does have a few populations of Sarrs, the Parrot Pitcher is mentioned quite a bit, so I know the climate is conducive to them. But has anyone tried to grow their own free range sarrs by creating a suitable habitat? What successes have you had? What conditions did you have or have to duplicate? What types of Sarrs did you try? Have success with? Did you sow seeds or plant some young plants?
I have an area of my yard, right by the house, that is constantly boggy due to the AC condensate drain. The condensate is basically a free and constant supply of distilled water.
We're planning on installing a stone patio in the area, but I don't want a stone under the drain as it will stay wet and likely grow algae and just look ugly, so an 18"×18" bog could possibly be created. The Sarrs would really look nice there if I can get them to grow and thrive. I may have to pay special attention to the area to prep for winter as the condensate won't be there, but distilled water is cheap and I don't think it will freeze being right next to the house, but I know I would need to keep it moist
I would dig out the existing soil and replace it with a peat mixture to simulate their swampy conditions, probably this fall, to get things ready for a spring planting.
What do you think? Any thoughts are appreciated.
Chef

You're not going to find parrot pitcher plants (S. psittacina) in Tennessee, they're Gulf Coast natives. S. purpurea perhaps.
Not living in what will be a forever home just yet, I haven't attempted to set up long-term bog gardens, but there are plenty of people who have (and it's recommended it be a bog garden separated by liners rather than just attempting to modify a wet patch in the yard, as your local soil probably isn't conducive to Sarracenia growth and peat in the ground will leach things from the surrounding soil), and even the more warm-loving species will do fine if the bog is mulched in winter.

Further research on my part shows that the only (thought to be) native Sarrs were S. Oreophilia, but no remaining populations have been found. Parrots are some that have been recommended as being able to grow well here.
As for the lining, I had thought of that, but hadn't decided for or against yet, but it would be easier to do before rather than after. From my past experience with Sarrs (species unknown) added fertilizer and minerals from the soil weren't of much concern. My Sarr was purchased from a well meaning nursery, planted in succulent mix/garden soil combo, that I had for years. I even fertilized it with some foam fertilizer every 2 weeks and it thrived. It had some spectacular burgundy flowers on stalks reaching to almost 20 inches, I miss that plant.
If I don't use a liner, due to the constant water dripping during spring through fall, much of any leached minerals will likely wash away as there is an outflow to the area which I can direct to a path of my choosing. The drain/inflow is on one edge, the outflow on the opposite edge, so there is slow movement of the water to push old water out.
I appreciate your advice and insight, it will help me in making this happen if I do pull the trigger on it.
Thanks,
Chef

If you're considering an 18 inch x 18 inch mini-bog, I think you should seriously consider a drilled hard container. ( Drilled at the maximum water level you wish to maintain) They're quite easy to come by at that size. Sink that (or just place) into location, then you can always move the mini-bog complete if necessary. I wouldn't worry too much about winter watering as there's very little evaporation in that season. Many will advise to just keep the plants dampish which of course is the opposite of the conditions many of the plants will encounter in nature.

If you're considering an 18 inch x 18 inch mini-bog, I think you should seriously consider a drilled hard container.

That's kinda the liner I was thinking, such as a 5 gallon bucket, but modified in a way to only be about 18 to 20 inches deep, or find a wider mouthed one to allow for more spreading. I think my biggest hurdle is a rather obscene amount of concrete "overpour" from a sloppy contractor. In some places it extends away from the slab over 8 inches, but some creative engineering can overcome that.
This is all great advice, thanks.
Chef

Back