What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lowes

PitcherPlantJunkie

PitcherPlantDruggie
hi, I was just surfing on this forum and I came across someone saying that lowes sell sarracenia rubra and sarracenia psittacina. can anyone confirm this?

It's VERY intermittent, but yes... big box stores do get random Sarracenia sometimes.

Even large Nepenthes like these from September sometimes.
bf2077a4093ffa46f85f5590e01b8e92.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yeah like he said it's very unreliable and subject to your specific store. I've never seen a carnivorous plant of any kind at lowes, HD, ect. I'd honestly just look online first.

Third Witness:
VERY VERY Intermittent. Here in Utah, it is mostly Venus flytraps, Nepenthes ventrata and Sarracenia purpurea.

This was at my Lowes just last week:
LowesFlytraps.jpg

They come from Gubler's Orchids typically and I have found Drosera adelae, D. capensis, Nepenthes ventrata and Sarracenia purpurea there.

Those little cups are available here for quite a bit of the year. But the large Sarrs, Darlingtonia, and Nepenthes are much harder to come across. Those Neps were sold within a few hours of being hung.

Those Neps were sold within a few hours of being hung.
Haha I can imagine! I would have had a hard time not buying several of them to try hanging around the place here! :D

Well, I fear it probably didn't go well for them. I have no idea if they had roots or anything but I saw no activated nodes. I'm guessing they're the root side of the cutting and they're just hoping a node activates to form a new growth point? I had considered getting one since they looked so good, but when I saw that I changed my mind.

Well, I fear it probably didn't go well for them. I have no idea if they had roots or anything but I saw no activated nodes. I'm guessing they're the root side of the cutting and they're just hoping a node activates to form a new growth point? I had considered getting one since they looked so good, but when I saw that I changed my mind.
Oh wow! As mass produced and careless as these kind of big box store plants can be I didn’t think they would be that bad!

You’d think having an active growth point is an obvious requirement to selling them...

Back