What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sarracenia saurus seeds

PitcherPlantJunkie

PitcherPlantDruggie
Hi, I'm going to be getting some sarracenia saurus seeds and I'm just wondering if they might pass down their awesome trait. Last december, I saw a seller sell saurus x HCW seeds and I was just wondering whether they will have some special traits or will they just be regular (flava x leuco) x leuco seeds since they are all cultivars.
Thank you

You cannot have seeds of S. 'Saurus,' only S. 'Saurus' x self, as this is a cultivar that will not breed true from seeds, particularly as it is a hybrid. Any cross will have some offspring that show traits carried from the particular parent plants used, but not all will and some will simply turn out standard-looking moorei spectrum plants.

You cannot have seeds of S. 'Saurus,' only S. 'Saurus' x self, as this is a cultivar that will not breed true from seeds, particularly as it is a hybrid. Any cross will have some offspring that show traits carried from the particular parent plants used, but not all will and some will simply turn out standard-looking moorei spectrum plants.

Yeah that's what I meant. So it might have the traits of saurus and it might not?

All the offspring by necessity of inheritance will carry some trait of either parent involved, but will not show all traits of either parent; some will not show any of the cultiver-described traits either.

Just sprout the seeds. How do you think all CP cultivars are made? They’re grown from seed! Saurus x self or Saurus x HCW both sound good to me. Of course when you plant the seeds you have a general idea in mind, such as a giant sarr like Saurus, and the odds of getting your dream Sarracenia will increase with the more seed you sprout. However that dream sarracenia could be in the handful of seed you get even if it’s not a hundred seeds.

Back