Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Sarracenia lights

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sarracenia lights

Greetings all,

I have recently purchased some carnivorous plants for my lab at a university. The collection so far includes S. purpurea venosa, S. leucophylla, Drosera spatulata, Nepenthes ventricosa, and an unknown VFT. The eventual goal is to construct a better indoor grow space and then sometime in the furture, try to find funding for a greenhouse on campus.

I have a question about lighting for the Sars. Currently the Sars are under a 36w sansi led bulb. The S. leuco. is about 10" from the light and the S. purpurea is around 16". The bulb is on a timer set for 14 hours a day. My lab has no natural light and I’m afraid the one sansi 36w light is not enough, do any of you have experience with these lights? I have a collection of succulents under the light and they seem to love it. The nepenthes/VFT have also done well for a few months now. I am considering purchasing another bulb for expanded coverage, do you think that’s needed?
    Sarracenia lights-carnivorous-jpg
    Last edited by nofeap; 07-05-2019 at 07:13 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I can do is tell you what I've been using for almost 3 years now and how it has gone for me. I have a 36" long LED light that is 7k, 40w with built in 660nm red LED's as well. My lighting is approximately 18" above my plants and I have been growing nepenthes, butterworts, sundews and a couple of other things. My neps and butterworts have done very well, and most of my sundews have done well but I did lose a couple but I'm not sure I can say it was the lighting honestly as I'm still learning and experimenting. One difference is that my lighting stays on for about 20 - 21 hours per day but mine is designed to simulate sunlight and starts weaker, gets stronger, then weak again before going off for a few hours. The red 660nm lights mixed with the 7k insures that the leaves get what they need as well as the lights that initiates fowering.
    All I can say is that I've had beautiful pitchers from the neps with deep colors, nice green leaves, and my butterworts have flowered under this lighting.
    Last edited by TheGuru; 07-05-2019 at 03:44 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just realized I didn't answer your initial question. Oops! For perspective, my light only covers the size of a 55 gallon aquarium that I have indoors and that is about all the space it can handle (approx 36" wide, 20" deep and 30" tall". LED lighting is strong and works well, but in a limited range/area. Most of the lights you can purchase will tell you how much light you can get at what distance/area. I recommend looking up the info online for your specific model.