Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally hit with mealy bugs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    So I wouldn't use the two together, I don't even know if it would work or if the first product would prevent the Orthene from absorbing. That's why I suggested drenching with midacloprid (it's a safer product too) since it will suck up through the roots and work from within.
    For clarity purposes are you saying I shouldn't add any more insecticides since I did my Ortho spray and give it some time to see how it handles them or don't combine Orthene with my spray but do your Bayer drench with my Ortho spray? I think this winter I'll be doing a quick dunk in the Bayer mix when I'm repotting for added safety for the following season.

I'm curious to know how these guys are introduced though. Besides receiving a plant from someone else that is already infected is something else bringing them in? Like an insect carrying them stopped by at some point?

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So YOUR ortho rose and flower or whatever is an on contact killer. I would add in the imidacloprid drench to add in another pesticide just in case you have a strain with any type of tolerance, and it will also add a different attack since the plant will suck it up and kill whatever bug eats on it. I would NOT add in the orthene 97 spray since it is an on contact killer similar to what you have already sprayed on. No reason to use two sprays that do a similar job when one will probably just rinse off the other or not allow the 2nd to even apply.

I think you said your plants are outside? Bugs are outside. :-p So... they could have walked from another plant, been carried by you when you brushed a plant somewhere with pests... who knows. I would definitely have a walk and check the area for any other plants (including weeds) that may be infested.
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    So YOUR ortho rose and flower or whatever is an on contact killer. I would add in the imidacloprid drench to add in another pesticide just in case you have a strain with any type of tolerance, and it will also add a different attack since the plant will suck it up and kill whatever bug eats on it. I would NOT add in the orthene 97 spray since it is an on contact killer similar to what you have already sprayed on. No reason to use two sprays that do a similar job when one will probably just rinse off the other or not allow the 2nd to even apply.

I think you said your plants are outside? Bugs are outside. :-p So... they could have walked from another plant, been carried by you when you brushed a plant somewhere with pests... who knows. I would definitely have a walk and check the area for any other plants (including weeds) that may be infested.
    Thank you for the clarification! I was doing some more inspections today and I noticed a huge decline in adult mealy but plenty of web/egg spots and little guys. What's new now is that I snipped off old/on the way out pitchers and cut them opened to peek inside and they had a good number of these clearish bugs that moved fast like ants, definitely not mealy. Maybe aphids but they were strictly inside the pitchers and not green. I'm definitely grabbing your Bayer stuff tomorrow to start drenching.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh god mealy bugs are horrendous. Iíve lost countless plants to them.
    My best advice is to save your money on all the fancy sprays and make your own out of rubbing alcohol and a bit of water in a spray bottle. The liquid has to make direct contact with the mealy bugs and their egg sacs to kill them. Try and quarantine your plant if you can.
    Good luck Finally hit with mealy bugs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully the final update for this thread. With multiple messages back and forth with Adnedarn I've decided that I need something with Imidacloprid in it. From the old threads I've read most people resort to Bayer's Insect and Mite but to this date this product no longer contains Imidacloprid! Online pictures from any retailer and even including Bayer has pictures of the bottles with Imidacloprid being an active ingredient. Your best bet will be to go into a store and check each bottle. I went with Bayer's Fruit, Citrus, and Vegetable Concentrate. Mixed the appropriate amount for my grow space into a spray bottle and drenched the crowns with it until I went through it all. I also needed a on-contact killer so I used neem oil.

Application is the Bayer drench once a month and neem oil once a week. It's been a little over a week since the first Bayer drench and I haven't been able to find a thing including the adults that were in older growth.

Here are the exact products I used: Bayer/Neem Oil
    Last edited by summit; 08-07-2019 at 11:21 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12