What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6b Sarracenia Dormancy - Cold Climate Dormancy Question

• Thread starter PolishJeff
  • Start date
Hi Everyone,

I've recently moved to a USDA 6b city and I'd love to hear your input on how I plan to protect my plants by Sarracenia and flytraps.

The plan:

I'm thinking that my collection can tolerate the winter conditions outdoors in a small unheated greenhouse - you've seen the ones I'm talking about. The mini-greenhouse (if you can call it that) with 6 trays that stands 4 feet tall with a thin transparent plastic tarp that covers it. I'm hoping I can keep my dormant Sarrs and Dionaea in something like this even if temperatures dip below freezing for a week or two.

My concern:

Pots will completely freeze even with protection from wind/snow and the plants won't be able to absorb water.

What are your thoughts and experience in growing in cold climates? Do you think I need more insulation or protection? Unfortunately I can't get my plants in the ground this year and need to keep them in pots for now, otherwise this would be the game plan.

Coming from a USDA 9a city, this is a change for me :)

Thanks,

Jeff

I grow sarrs and VFTs in zone 6b, for dormancy this year, I have a big hole in the ground and right before the first frost I plan to chop them nearly down to the base and put them in the hole. Then, I cover them with pine needles and put a tarp over it all. The ground insulates the sarrs so it doesn't get too cold.

I grow sarrs and VFTs in zone 6b, for dormancy this year, I have a big hole in the ground and right before the first frost I plan to chop them nearly down to the base and put them in the hole. Then, I cover them with pine needles and put a tarp over it all. The ground insulates the sarrs so it doesn't get too cold.

Thanks, Nepenthes. That's the plan for winter 2020 :) Any tips for keeping potted sarrs above ground?

Thanks, Nepenthes. That's the plan for winter 2020 :) Any tips for keeping potted sarrs above ground?

I would recommend insulating them well with pine needles and maybe put them a little closer to your house. Here's a link to the blog I went off of- https://zone6b.wordpress.com. I'm no expert on this, just trying to get my sarrs to survive the cold winters here:-)).

I used to live in Michigan and I would always put my whole collection on racks in my unheated garage. Worked great.

Back