What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flower Watch 2020

• Thread starter hcarlton
  • Start date
What the hell, I'll start...
It is NOT spring yet, but 'Abandoned Hope' does not care.
S. 'Abandoned Hope' by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Nor, apparently, does my flava atropurpurea, oreophila x flava rubricorporas, and a couple others, as they're all waking up too...

What the hell, I'll start...
It is NOT spring yet, but 'Abandoned Hope' does not care.
S. 'Abandoned Hope' by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Nor, apparently, does my flava atropurpurea, oreophila x flava rubricorporas, and a couple others, as they're all waking up too...

Have you been pretty warm in Colorado this year or do these plants consistently wake up a bit early? You are ahead of me and I am in Central Texas!

Outdoor weather doesn't mean anything for me because the plants are in the basement at this time of year (I can't build bog gardens where I am so they can't stay outside). They wake up because they've been through 3 months of winter already and aren't buried in the ground to keep them asleep further.

Outdoor weather doesn't mean anything for me because the plants are in the basement at this time of year (I can't build bog gardens where I am so they can't stay outside). They wake up because they've been through 3 months of winter already and aren't buried in the ground to keep them asleep further.

Ahhhh.... that makes sense. How are conditions in the basement? Ever have issues with fungus?

They wake up months before I can actually give them light, so yes, I lose several every year. Nothing I can do about it, and every treatment that has been suggested fails (also doesn't help one particular nursery I've tried getting plants from and that has given suggestions also seems to send out plants very prone to problems).
Plants that originated in CO have less issue
S. flava atropurpurea FCPE#1 by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Do buds count? I just moved these guys outside because they wanted to bloom in the dark of the cellar...
a3iCyYul.jpg

Buds are the start of the "watch" I guess; several plants I have are still only in the just-budding stage (which is where I wish they all were, as I find one plant after another rotted away because nothing gets to go outside. Good weather for a couple days this week but then it's gonna snow so still can't!). Other things are obviously much, much further along...

Bit of a bummer, but it's one of the risks of living in the land of slugs...

49847301851_b2d0ce2a9e_n.jpg

Darlingtonia californica

lVcBJf8.jpg

dVZPPna.jpg

Those are lovely!

Oddly, the slug flower has also been my first bloom of the season. I decided to leave it on the plant to see what would happen.

49907803952_75fbaab995_n.jpg

Hoping for prettier blooms to come... maybe some day I'll have a forest like fredg (fingers crossed).

Back