Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have I been scammed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have I been scammed?

So... I bought some ,,Nepenthes seeds" online about 1,5 months ago. Seller didn't specify the exact species, even though I asked privately, but nonetheless I got my package and about a week later I planted them. Fast forward to today this is the small plant that's been growing. It has no pitcher's yet, but the overall plant looks pretty healthy. Can yall tell if this is really a Nepenthes, and is it meant to take so long for the pitcher's to grow?

(Plant date: 24.03.2020)

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not so sure that they are nepenthes seedlings. Usually nepenthes seedlings produce their traps right after their seed leaves. What I try to do before buying seed online is to look to see if the seller has any pictures of the seeds. If not, I go down to the reviews to see if anybody has pictures of the seeds. Then I compare them to online pictures of those seeds to see if they look similar to avoid being tricked.
    Last edited by liua; 05-04-2020 at 04:32 AM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That absolutely is not a nepenthes seedling. Nepenthes seedling are very small and slow growing. They'll produce their first pitchers soon after germination, on the first true leaf they produce. Generally, I would not trust anyone trying to sell nepenthes seed. They will either be fakes, like you received here, or have been poached from the wild.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where are you located? Where did the seed come from? That's some sort of garden weed and definitely not a Nepenthes or any sort of carnivorous plant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have a picture of the seed when you received it?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not a Nepenthes, at all. Nepenthes seeds first should arrive looking like wood splinters with fat middles, and a year-old one will probably still be under an inch across for many. There are occasionally places to get confirmed and horticulturally produced Nepenthes seeds (I should be one in a month or two), though typically hybrids and very rarely species.
    Also, might be better if this thread was moved to the Nepenthes or plant ID sections.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sangrocks101 View Post
    Do you have a picture of the seed when you received it?
    Yes, in fact I have some seeds left. The ones I planted were a teeny bit bigger than the ones on the pic. If people are telling me this is definitely not Nepenthes, then does anyone know what it is?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    It's not a Nepenthes, at all. Nepenthes seeds first should arrive looking like wood splinters with fat middles, and a year-old one will probably still be under an inch across for many. There are occasionally places to get confirmed and horticulturally produced Nepenthes seeds (I should be one in a month or two), though typically hybrids and very rarely species.
    Also, might be better if this thread was moved to the Nepenthes or plant ID sections.
    Hmm... mine definitely don't fit your description. They're more of a round shape.

Excuse my stupidness, but I'm pretty new to Tapatalk in general and I'm not sure how to move threads to differerent sections. If it's necessary, can you tell me how and I'll do it right away?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast