What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to tell if Sarracenia is dead

Hey everyone,

last month, I posted about my Sarracenia, which was growing funny leaves. From my post, I found out it was growing phyllodes. Not much changed with the plant until last week when all of sudden the phyllodes leaves started to wilt and then die off. I've included a before and after picture for more information. I can't tell what went wrong and if the Sarracenia is dead. What would be the best course of action from here? Is there even a chance that it will recover?

img1.jpgWebp.net-resizeimage.jpg

Plants often make phyllodes as a last resort to try and keep photosynthesis going with minimum energy output, the plant needs to make more energy than it expends. However, it looks like it is a gonner I'm afraid. The rhizome looks dead (brown, and corky), lift the rhizome and look to see if it has any roots, break a portion of the rhizome off, if it is brown inside break another portion off to see if you can get to any healthy white material. If it is brown all the way through its length it is dead. The demise could be caused by a pathogen (in which case dispose of the substrate and material carefully, or burn it if you have that facility), it could have been too dry at some point (it looks pretty dry at the moment), or it could be mineral burn from bad water/substrate or fertiliser, or even the pot if it isn't glazed inside, there are many things that could have done it I'm afraid.
Dont let it stop you trying again.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I definitely will try again. I took a look at the rhizome and it was all brown just like you had mentioned :(

Thank you very much for replying to my post and for the info. Hopefully things will go better next time.

Back