What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dividing Heliampohoras

• Thread starter pthiel
  • Start date
Anyone have any best methods or tricks to give on dividing Heliamphoras?  I have a few that are clumpers and I need to divide them up soon.  I usually just break them at the natural division and it works out but I would like to find a less stressful way if possible.

Cheers,
Pete

well, it seems that to me is the only way to do it, without casuing shock/harm to mother palnt. Who knows, their could be a way. Are you talking about dividing smaller ones off a larger one?

Zach,

Yes. the main plant continues to grow but it produces offshoots. I usually just break the rhizome between the offshoot and the main plant, but it throws them both into shock. No growth for a period of time and they die back before regrowing. Heliamphora don't grow all that fast to start with and I hate to slow it down.

On that same track, anyone ever get their Heliamphora flowers to set viable seed?

Cheers

Hi Peter,

I can't help you on the dividing aspect of it. However, with the flowering, how do you polinate them?

The only known method so far to remove the pollen seems to be vibration to )simulate the beating of wings on a bee) or removing and tearing open the pollen sack. The former can be done with a tuning fork.

Hope this helps.

Noah

Noah,
Thanks, I've tried the tuning fork trick a couple of times but no luck. I'll try it again and see what occurs.

Cheers

Heliamphora flowers are "pre-female".
You can only pollinate almost closed or just oppened flowers with pollen of an older flower.
They seldem set seed under insufficient light levels (artificial light).
Only nne of my H. minor flowers seems to set seed :)

Martin

Now idea how you can divide them "better". Always be careful... You know, the roots will brake....

Martin,

Thank you very much, been trying to figure that one out for a long time.

Cheers

It seems to me, and I am totaly postulating here,

that the way to avoid, or lessen the shock would be:

1: don't snap, use a very sharp exacto knice and make a perfect cut, leaving as little internal tissue exposed as possible.

2: put a fungicide, and perhaps rooting hormone on the exposed portion of the rhiozome, then cover with live sphagnum if available.

3) Increase light, humidity, and all the other conditions these guys love. And hope for the best.

RamPuppy,

Sounds like a plan to me - Thanks!

Cheers

Back