What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have a new question...

From what I've been reading in this forum, I've gathered that both the s. purpurea and the cobra plant are accustomed and even prefer cooler temps. I'm getting these plants and will be growing them indoors until summer, at that time I'm considering filling up my front flower garden with them. My only question is, are they hardy enough to cold that they can survive and withstand winter temps that dip below -20 celcius fairly regularly and cooler with wind chill?

Until then I'm thinking of putting them in plant hangers in my livingroom. They will be too big to fit in my terrarium and I need to keep them high enough that the cat and kids can't get to them!

These are my first, and I want them to thrive like my vft's are now thanks to all your help. Any tips?
smile.gif

im not sure what 20- cesius is but that sounds prrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeettttttttttttttyyyyyyyyyyyyy low if i do say so my self, just make sure they get plenty of sun and have the roots of the cobra lily's are kept cold and humidity is a factor.Hope it helps,
Kevin

Yeah, 20 below 0 celcius, which is 4 below zero farenheit. Is cold! That's ok, once where I used to live it got to 40 below zero (also 40 below zero farenheit).

Are they terribly humidity sensitive? Indoors we average about 45-50%. I'm also concerned about direct light. They wouldn't get mich unless I hang them in the window, where they would get at least 4 hours a day of nice bright, direct light.
confused.gif

Carn. Newbie,when they are planted out side at that time of year place some pine needles over them to help keep them snow off of them. with them being inside yes they will need some light. it help with the coloration of the pitchers. with hunidity keep the soil mix kind of wet that will bring them humidity up around the plant. with the cobra place sme ice cubes in the mix that will help with cooling down the roots

S. purpurea ssp. purpurea will have no problem that cold, but I don't think the cobra will survive. Make sure you get purpurea ssp. purpurea not ssp. venosa.

I'm not sure of the subspecies, but I can check on that! It's amazing how cold these plants are comfortable surviving in. Comparing to vft's and such, it really surprises me. I hope I can grow them successfully!
smile.gif

I would be very careful about taking plants from growing indoors and just placing them outside as Winter approaches. They will need quite a while to acclimatise to the change in conditions and fully harden off ready for the sort of frosts (-20C) you are talking about. I fear a sudden change in climate could be fatal.

Vic

If they are acclimatised like Vic suggested they should be OK. I have taken Darlingtonia and Sarracenia purpurea ssp. purpurea down to -25 degrees Celsius in Scotland one winter without any problems.

The purp will do fine with those temps but perhaps a bit chilly for the darlingtonia. Might want to mulch your plants with pine needles or even wrap an old towel around/ over the plants during the very cold days/ nights.
I grow my darlingtonias in shade or indirect- very filtered sunlight so as to keep them as cool as possible. Local grower has also told me that they will grow larger in the filtered light.
smile.gif

maybe my math is off, but that is ULTRA cold! Where do you live?!

Back