What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which sar is the tallest?

schloaty

Staff member
Vertigo and I were discussing....which sars have the tallest pitchers?

I'm pretty sure the fattest (relative to height) is purpurea.

I have found through my own collection, the flavas have the tallest pitchers. However, the leucophylla "Titan" cultivar bosts a 38 inch tall or more pitcher. My last post asked that question, does the "Titan" actually grow to that height?

my tallest plant is a flava x alata hybrid, and is 'quite a bit' taller than that

I've seen S.favas in the wild that was between 3 and 4 ft.

I would say a leuco wold be the tallest or a hybrid such as S.flava X S. leucophylla as the parents, or included in the cross.

S.x moorei 'Brook's Hybrid' is generally regarded as growing the largest pitchers. This one is 1 metre tall:

brooksfull_jpg.jpg

Mike King's has reached 42 1/2", but we'll see if that'll be beaten at this year's CPUK Tallest Pitcher Competition
smile.gif

CPUK Forum

I was along the gulf coast this Memorial Day holiday and visited two native sarracenias sites and measured pitchers. Flava definately has my vote. We measured one 'Red Tube' at 40"X6" and a moorei cross at a wopping 50"X7.5"! Pictures to follow.

I read somewhere that minor okee giants can get close to 4' tall in the wild - I am not sure though...
My tallest are probably S. flava Cuprea, though they haven't gotten more than 30" tall. Maybe next year
rolleyes.gif

Rubra

It would be interesting to see how a transplanted 'Brook's Hybrid' would reach on that site where Brooks(no relation to Michael Brooks who the hybrid was named after in England) saw those moorei and red tubed flavas...
smile.gif

A Brook's Hybrid growing on the Gulf Coast will probably grow larger than in an English greenhouse environment, so I would expect it to be get even taller than that 50" moorei. It would be interesting to see!

Well, my largest has been a S. Luecophylla "Chipola" at a mere 37" last late summer. It has a growing pitcher right now at :correction: 17'', not even close to done yet!!!! The largest I have heard of was a Moorei, the same as on the above post........I would love to see a pic of one, they must be huge
wow.gif
!!!  Interesting topic
smile.gif
             Kevin

The tallest Sarrecenia is flava x oreophylla.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (brisco225 @ June 08 2003,06:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The tallest Sarrecenia is flava x oreophylla.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

How tall exactly?

Alright Boys, (and women) here is the proof as best that I can give it. Now, take in to consideration that I could have very well cheated on these...but why!? They are not my plants and if I did take photos far enough away to show the whole tape it wouldn't show the number, fit on here or be readable.Red Tube Site VisitMy Webpage

Back