What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cobra lilies (seeds)

I'm trying to grow cobra lilies from seed. Can anyone tell me how.

How much light do you need?
What kind of soil?
How much time?
Does it require dormancy?
How do I germinate the seeds?

I have a lot of questions don't I.

*prays the questions will get answered*

Check out the ICPS germination guide.

ICPS Seed Bank Germination Guide. Scroll down until you see the Sarracenia and Darlingtonia Guide.

Darlingtonia do require a dormancy. The rest of the information is answered in the link above.

thank you almighty nickhubbel you are my savior(and the maker of the site)

One of the most important things you need is to be patient.
Growing plants from seed is rewarding, you get to see what the plants look like as they mature and you get plants that have been grown ONLY BY YOU!
icon14.gif

Have Fun!

does anyone know how cold dormancy needs to be?

I just stick them in the fridge.

Eplants thanks for the help. My only problemo is that my parents don't want plants and dirt in the fridge.

*wonders why not*

I was thinking I may be able to achieve dormancy by putting it near a window. I live in Kansas so in the winter It should get down to about 40 degrees or maybe even high 20s. I'm not real sure. But it does get real cold.

More help please.

For the medium below the top surface, should the long fibered sphagnum be finely chopped, or can I just put all them in in their strands and all without cutting or chopping them?

It seems to me as though only the top layer needs to be chopped: I would say the top 1 inch (5cm) should be chopped, and everything below can just be LFS. GOOD LUCK!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Thanks! But if the whole pot's chopped LFS, it shouldn't matter right?

Just a side topic, if the LFS is chopped, would it still grow again, or would only unchopped ones grow?

It would be fine if ti's all chopped, and it shouldn't affect whether the LFS grows or not.
smile.gif
GOOD LUCK!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Where can I get long fiber sphanghum for a whole pot?

Nevermind.  I found LFS at my local nursery.  

eBeyonder peat will grow sphanghum moss so I think chopped LFS will to.

Yes, LFS will grow. For dormancy of this plant you need to get down to approximately 35-40 degrees. Goodluck.

Should I give a seedling darlingtonia dormancy?
confused.gif

For the first two years after sprouting they don`t need dormancy you can just grow them under grow lights.

thanks. I will grow them with some sarr seedlings then.
smile.gif

Your-welcome,let us now when they sprout please! (and if you can show pics of the little bugers.)

sure, but i'm receiving the seeds tomorrow, and lord only knows how long they'll take to germinate. I just guess we'll have to be patient(something i'm not)
biggrin.gif
confused.gif

You now you`ll have to stratify them for 4 weeks before you germinate them right? Also it will take on average after stratifacation 4-8 weeks for them to sprout. Just remember patience is a virtue.

Back