What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best time to plant in central ohio?

TIA as always.

I will be getting some pitchers (and some GDs) from pft this year for a minibog--my question is, when?

It's Central Ohio--is March too early to put them out? We will probably get occasional frost in March. Should I wait until frost is nearly impossible, say April?

The minibog will be tub-sized, so I do not want to move it. This means that I cannot protect the plants properly once they are out there. They will have to tough it out.

Steve

Steve,
I would think March would be fine so long as you ordered them from a place that has had cold weather and give them some protection. I.E. not Florida and where they have been grown outside. Tonight we are supposed to go to 25 in Atlanta and 8 tomorrow. Mine are outside but heavily tarpped.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sarraceniaobsessed @ Jan. 23 2003,02:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Steve,
I would think March would be fine so long as you ordered them from a place that has had cold weather and give them some protection. I.E. not Florida and where they have been grown outside. Tonight we are supposed to go to 25 in Atlanta and 8 tomorrow. Mine are outside but heavily tarpped.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Hmmm--so does buying from petflytrap.com mean I need to wait, then? Texas is pretty warm, or was the last time I was there.
biggrin.gif

And of course the plants are grown indoors, so they will be in for quite a shock, suddenly transplanted into a rainy and cold Columbus spring. I do not want to exhaust them.

Which brings up another point. When do pfts' sarrs flower? I'd like to get the plants before that behavior starts. I think I will ask this in the other forum.

Steve

I believe that most of PFT's plants are either fresh, or recently out of TC, so they are fairly young yet & will not flower untill they mature. Please correct me if I am wrong in saying that they are that young
smile.gif

Cole

steveo - where are you located in Central Ohio?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (pthiel @ Jan. 24 2003,05:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">steveo - where are you located in Central Ohio?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Columbus, but I grew up in Illinois near Chicago. That's the short answer--here comes the rambling.

I came out here to get a degree, and ended up raising a family and sundry other things, so here I stay, for now.

The clay-packed soil out here is not the same as that rich Fox River Valley stuff back in northern Illinois (which soil is second only to that of the Nile Delta), but my garden is miniscule, so I've been able to condition it so that roses and other plants can breathe. I have great admiration for the local gardeners who are more ambitious than that.

The people I do not understand are those who try to keep bluegrass alive on this stuff. The soil is bad, the grubs are awful; throw some clover seed on it and relax, I say! Raise some bees!

The best part about Columbus is that full-bore southern exposure, even in July, is not enough to hurt the VFTs, even in a 12" pot. The more I gave them, the more they liked it. They seem to be wintering over OK in my cold basement window.

I hope for similar success with the sarrs, but I need to keep them outside all year, and I need to protect them somehow from prolonged deep freezes.

Steve

steveo,

I am from Columbus - now in Pickerington. where at in Columbus are you. Once the weather gets decent we need to get together and talk plants.

cheers

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (pthiel @ Jan. 24 2003,10:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">steveo,

I am from Columbus - now in Pickerington. where at in Columbus are you. Once the weather gets decent we need to get together and talk plants.

cheers[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Hey, that would be fun. I expect that you will need to do most of the talking, however--I am a lucky gardener, not a good or knowlegeable one.

I'll get in touch with you in June, when I stop teaching and my work day drops to 8 hours and one job.

Steve

Sounds like a plan to me.

cheers

Back