What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus reproduction

Hi. I was able to produce 3 new plants with one cephalotus this season. I decaptated my main plant, took 2 leaves as cuttings, and stuck the "head" into L/F Sphagnum. By now, one of the leaves budded, the "head" is producing leaves, and the stump of the original plant is putting out new leaves. Just wanted to share my method-Zach

How did you treat the leaf cutting? Did you do anything special to it? I won't be able to try this myself for a few months but I was curious
smile.gif

Hi Zach: Using decapitation is a method not often used, but effective if the right conditions are met. How long did it take you to produce these three plants?. I am trying to produce cuttings from leaves and rhizomes as we speak. For some reason nursery clones are better adapted to this method than clones that are maintained from its original sources. One cutting is from Allen Lowrie and the other is from paradisia nurseries in Victoria Australia. Both are being treated in the same manner, but the Lowrie clone is already dying while the nursery one is live and kicking. These are differences only seen when you produce cuttings, otherwise, one'll never know.

Agustin

How old or large should a ceph be before you can safely try a leaf cutting without causing any harm to the main plant?

Suzanne

agustin-my cephalotus was bought around 1999. It died back the first month and came back after 2 months i beileve. I lost a lot of my collection via a heat wave a month or two back, and that cephalotus was affected. The crown was turning soft and brown, so i decided to "amputate" the crown incase the browning may reach the roots and kill off the plant. While cutting the crown off, I pulled 2 leaves and stuck them into the original pot of the now be-headed ceph. It has been about 2 months and all are showing signs of new leaves growing.

suzanne-I didnt do anything special with the leaves. I just stuck them in the peat/sand/perlite/pumice.

Hi Suzanne:

In general, you'll have better results with older leaves and pitchers, i'd say, at least 4-5 month old leaves or pitchers. However, I am doing an experiment with immature pitchers, leaves, etc. i'll let you know how it went.

It is a mystery on how 2 different pitchers of approximately same age bevave differently under the same growing conditions. this is very puzzling, because I would understand if somebody tells me, well your conditions are the wrong ones, but then again, I have leaf growing there for almost 5 weeks and I am hoping this will be a successful cloning attempt.

Bye for now.

Gus

Thank you, Gus.
smile.gif
My ceph is older than 4-5 months but it is very small. It just looks so tiny and fragile. I haven't counted recently but at last count had about 5-6 pitchers. The whole plant is only about the size of a quarter (which doesn't help if you don't know what a quarter look like). I am so thrilled its growing at all, I'd hate to disturb it. But I would like to try a leaf cutting. But not at the risk of jeopardizing my little plant. I am thankful to have it.

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne:

I do believe you might have a small cephalotus clone. I may be wrong but I have a plant which is more like 1 inch in diameter for the past 5 months. It looks healthy but it does not grow any bigger. Other plants grown under the same conditions grow faster. If it does not at least double in size by the end of summer, you may have a pygmy ceph clone.

There are places which sell large cephs in the U.S. Sometimes
Dean Cook from www.flytraps.com or michel catalani from www.cpjungle.com carry the large size cephs.
WARNING: these are not giant forms just large size ones.

P.S. I do know what an american quarter looks like. I lived in N.Y. for 10 years before moving to Australia

Regards,

Agustin

Back