What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My s. flava "heavy veined"

I couldn't help but show off my favorite sarracenia S. Flava "Heavy Veined", hope you enjoy,
Kevin
mvc-014s.jpg

Very handsome plant, sarracenialuver. Nice job growing that Sarr.
smile.gif
biggrin.gif

Kevin,
Are 100% sure that is a S. flava heavily veined? Looks like it could be a S. oreophila "Sand Mountain' form. Anybody else?

I am 90% certain it is, the coloring is real dark on it, i give it alot of sun, ive never thought the possibility of it being an oreo, possibly, now that you talk about it, It looks as though it may have some in it........thanks,
Kevin

They are easily confused. At one point, they were thought to be the same species but different forms in different locations. The give away characterstic is the oreophila go dormant (the pitchers die off) in mid to late summer. My mistake.

From the shape of the pitcher leaf I would say that it is clearly Sarracenia flava and not Sarracenia oreophila.

If you compare them together you will probably notice that the shape of the pitcher is distinctive when they are seen together and this will assist in identification, though only a mother would know for sure.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this and I may be completely off but don't S. flava's lids form a funnel like hole in the back of the pitcher? It funnels the rain down the back of the pitcher and eliminates it running into the pitcher mouth like other regular hoods do. S. oreophila's lids curl just a bit but nothing as exaggerated as S. flava. I personally am leaning towards S. oreophila for the coloration purposes myself and the fact that the lid doesn't form the 'flava funnel'.

In S. oreophila the hood is offset from the mouth at about 80 degrees.

That's a tough call, I couldn't say for sure unless I had the plant to inspect personally, and even then I'm not sure I could tell. This is my first year growing Flava. I have been strictly Purp and Leuco till now. I"M BRANCHING OUT!! YAY! lol.

This is a wonderful photo of a "heavily veined" flava (S.flava 'ornata&#39
wink.gif
. I'd even venture to say that it's from Florida. Also, I've seen S.flava 'rubricorpia' grown in lower light levels that produced a heavily veined plant. So, depending upon how much light your plant is getting, it might be a 'rubricorpia.'
S.oreaphila uncommonly has such extensive venation. As well, oreo lids are less erect and the "funnel" at the back of the lid is more relaxed.
imduff

This is a pic of my Oreophi

Whoops, how did that happen? In any case, here is a pic of my S. oreophila Sand Mtn. The veining is a bit more prounounced than the picture shows, but nowhere near like sarracenialuver's. In any case, the pitcher and lid shapes seem a bit different. They are the big green ones in front.

OudoorBogs.JPG

Capslock

Back