What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

outdoor sarr

I live in TN and was wondering can i grow sarr outdoors? The temps are about 80 degrees in the summertime and 20 to 30% humidity. i am about to recieve a pack of mixed sarr hybrid seeds. will this work?

They will do just fine outdoors in TN. Just make sure they get at least 6 hrs of direct sun, and keep the soil very wet during the summer. Cut back on the water in the winter and don't let them experience anything more than a brief freeze. Move them into a garage or an enclosed porch if you can.

S. purpurea should grow outside there without any protection. How are you planning on growing them, Pots or Bog?  Also what part of TN do you live, I now live outside of Atlanta and it stays about 10 degrees warmer here than where I grew up, Winchester TN. Winchester is between Chatanooga & Nashville. I have several varieties that I grow outside year round. The only protection they get is from the tree leaves that fall in the Autumn.

Marjorie

I live in southern TN and i was going to grow them in pots and maybe a bog garden.

I live in central Missouri and grow all of mine outside in pots. Just make sure they have some sort of reservoir at the bottom to hold water. During the winter I put them in my garage if the temps are forecasted to be below freezing for more than a couple of days, which thankfully this winter hasn't been that often. It's quite a chore to move 20+ pots back and forth.

Nep Lover,

A Sarr you might want to consider is oreophilla. They were once native to S. TN so you could probably get away with growing them out side with little protection.

Pyro

Micheal Catlani is in Tennessee and try to e-mail him for questions to be answered. E-mail him at Cpjungle@aol.com Good luck!

Back