What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inside the Pitcher

Hi folks,

Today, I recieved my new Sarracenia.  Years ago a co-worker had a pitcher plant, which kind I don't know, but I remember that it had water inside of the pitchers themselves.  This seems like a logical thing seeing how the insects are supposed to be "consumed by a bath of acids or enzymes."  

My question is this.  Obviously the USPS tosses it's packages around so any water that may have been inside the pitchers isn't anymore.  Should I put a bit of distilled in the pitchers or leave them alone and let the plant deal with it on it's own?  

Thanks in advance.

(Edited by ajaxx359 at 6:51 pm on April 5, 2002)

It depends on what Sarracenia you have. If you have the Trumpet (upright) variety of Sarracenia you can put SOME water in not much but just until you can see some when you shine a flash light up to the side of the pitcher. If you have the Purpurea variety fill it right up as this is how the Purpurea should be at all times. The Trumpet variety produce thier own enzymes when you get a new pitcher you will see this and the lid on the Trumpet vairty keep out rain while the Purpurea's doesn't. Hope this helps!

Dear Ajax,
If you have a trumpet pitcher, do not put ANY water in it, the plant will generate digestive fluid of its own later in the season. If you have S, purpurea sp. then do put some water it the the pitcher. The danger with putting water in the trumpet pitcher (upright) leaves is that they become top heavy and the pitcher may topple over. I hope that clarifies that for you!

Mike I said a LITTLE water. That is what I do and it works for me. I never said to fill it to the brim. Or put alot in.

Fill your purpurea about half to two thirds with water... some of the inside of the pitcher should be bare because nectar and slipperyness happens in there...

Hi Nep G,
Even a little water is unneccessary as the plants produce their own digestive fluid!

Ohh, well it works for me if they are a bit shocked. Maby if I stop doing it from now on I will have better results.

Oh you guys... I filled mine with concrete. I can't knock them down with a hammer.

Hi Dyflam,
Are we getting a new type of pitcher plant which eats concrete then? Would be handy to get rid rubble when you have got the builders in then!! :)

Acids, even fairly weak ones can eat through concrete maybe small servings of concrete would be good.
smile.gif

You guys are nuts. Feeding your Sarracenia's concrete?! Waht next? Kitty litter? Wood chips? Glue?
smile.gif

would that make my trash compactor a carnivorous plant?
smile.gif

Back