What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lazy pitcher

• Thread starter BryceG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pitchers
B

BryceG

Just bought a pitcher, hundreds of flys come and go - but none get trapped! What would be wrong? Are the pitchers supposed to have water in them?

Welcome to the forums!!!! What kind of Sarracenia is it?

I am unsure of the type of Sarracenia I have, it is named "Gobble Guts" on the packaging
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
. It notes that this plant does capture insects and dissolve them, but I have yet to see anything like this.
Could it be that the plant needs water in it to drown the insect inside, or even wet the insect so that it slides down the walls?
Thanks.

Heres what it looks like:
pic1.JPG

pic2.JPG

that's a s purp. in my experience, they don't catch as many flies as other, more erect sarrs. my purps tend to catch more crawlers, such as ants. leo

Also, should the plant (or is it ok) for water to gather inside the tubes?

Hi Bryce

S. purpurea is the only sarracenia pitcher plant that drowns it's victims in rainwater and relies on bacteria to break prey down. They should always be full of rain or distilled water.
If in the future you buy an upright pitcher, it will produce it's own acid and enzymes so won't need water adding.

Sarracenia purpurea eat mostly ants and crawling insects: earwigs and such plus slugs. When it goes outside for the summer you should see some activity. If you live in a southern area, purps like a bit of shade. They typicaly grow as an understory plant. Beautiful plant by the way!

Flies prefer the upright species: leucophylla, alata, oreophila, rubra, flava and hybrids.

Back