What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oregon's darlingtonia wayside

If you happen to live in the area or are traveling along the Oregon coast.

I was amazed at the number of plants growing along that little cold water creek that flows through the preserve.

Another thing that struck me was the very low light level...it is dense shade under the forest canopy.Besides that, the undergrowth is thick and blocks much of the sunlight that makes it past the trees.The Cobra-Lillies,scattered among the undergrowth, make do with what little light they can get and apparently thrive under these cool ,dark, and humid conditions.

Hi Seminole,

I've also seen some on the California coast, close to the Oregon border. Not only was it filtered light from the canopy, it was close enough to the coast for you to hear the ocean just around the bend. Not even along a steam. I would have figured that some of that salty ocean water/air would have caused some problems. Surprises abound.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (wickedthistle @ June 16 2003,5:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi Seminole,

I've also seen some on the California coast, close to the Oregon border. Not only was it filtered light from the canopy, it was close enough to the coast for you to hear the ocean just around the bend. Not even along a steam. I would have figured that some of that salty ocean water/air would have caused some problems. Surprises abound.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Yes,exactly.

Going North on the coast highway 101 if you turn left you'll be in the Pacific within a minute or two -turn right and you are at the cobra lillies within a 1/4 mile.

The site info describes Darlingtonias as growing from 6,000 feet to sealevel. Well,I've slogged through quite a lot of terrain in Oregon that looks exactly like this site( that is: boggy,sphagnum moss,cool,dense growth overhead ect.)in the Cascades and farther inland, yet I've never seen Cobras growing wild as they were here at the seaside.

Back