What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NOt out of dormancy yet..help!

its mar ch and my S.purpurea still hasnt come out of dormancy yet. My minor nd "judith hindle" are producing new leaves, while this purp wont produce any. It was planted by the company with some of its rhizome showing, so i covered it up with little living sphagnum. I checked its roots (which show from bottom of pot; now i noe i nned to trnsplant lol) nd the roots are while and healthy. Late bloomer? It was my most vigirous sarra, nd i saved it from a petstore. im not relly a sarra man (only have 3) im more of a drosera dude (about 40+) Well, thanks-Zach

If it is S.Purpurea spp. Purpurea you'll need to wait u til about April to see any new growth. If it is Venosa it should start anytime now.

just be patient. It will come around. All of my sarracenia have yet to produce any new leaves yet. several have sent up flower stalks, but it's going to be at least 6 weeks before I see any pitchers open up. i guess that's the one drawback for growing them outside in zone 5.

thanks for the info guys. i believe its venosa.

Hi Cephalotus,
If the roots are white, that is a good sign the plant is healthy and sending down new growth. Roots on Sarracenia are the first parts of the plant to move before the leaves start growing after dormancy breaks.
Good growing!

Mike is absoulutly right! It is Venosa eh? Well, it should start to grow anytime now. Try to give it more light and higher temperatures. Also you may wanna try a diluted dosage of Superthrive if the growth doesn't pick up for a long while.

yup its a venosa. I have it oudoors with all my other temperate cps (S.minor, purp, "judith hundle as well as vfts) it gets whatever light comes up lol. Well, i guess its going to be fine.

Back