What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird leucophylla growth

Whenever my Sarracenia leucophylla puts up a new pitcher, the back of the developing pitcher is concave (it is made up of two flat "wings", such that the whole thing is Y-shaped in cross-section), and when it gets bigger, the top part inverts (puffs out) and becomes a tube. Is this normal? My S. minor doesn't do this...

I think it's normal. Are you talking about the kind of flat ridge that's on the front of the pitchers. One of mine has a really pronounced flat area.

No, I'm not referring to the flat area at the front (the ala), but to the back of the pitcher, which eventually forms the tube.

Do you mean the bottom of the pitcher is higher up than normal because of the Y shape at the bottom?
I shouldn't worry, I don't think they can grow 'wrong' as it were.

I'm not quite sure what you mean... If you were to take a cross-section of the pitcher, you would not get the expected O- shape, but instead a >- shape. See what I mean?

Hi Havron, my S. purpuria so the same thing, its like they form with a vacuum then suddenly over a couple of days go "PUFF" and start to open, I have assumed that this is normal and would make the same assumption about your plant but I am not REALLY familiar with Sarrs.

I think we've both managed to confuse each other
smile.gif
smile.gif

I can only assume that it is normal. The leucophylla I got last week hasn't started growing yet, but I'll see what it does.

Thanks guys. Let's hope my plant is ok.
smile.gif

Hi Sharon, I know what your talking about because my lueko does the same thing I always assumed it was normal.

Thanks, Jack. And it's Shawn, not Sharon.
smile.gif

Back