What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

have you ever seen Heliamphora seed ?

Only one of my Heliamphora flowers set seed...
The seed pot contained 15 seed, I have sown 10 of them on peat imidiatly and 5 of them on pure milled sphagnum 2 weeks later.
Germination rate seems to be very high (~80%), but no seedling has build a single leaf till now.

H_Samen02.jpg

and closer... (not the best quality, because you can see the grain of the film at this magnification)
H_Samen01.jpg

Martin

wow
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
I hope mine will have seeds when is gets big

ok I have to ask you some stuff about geting the Heliamphora to set seed what cind is it did it self pollnat or did you have to do it how long did if take from florwer to seed how long did it take to sprout

lots of question hu

Some people say (Wistuba) that Heliamphora is "pre-female", which means that you must transfer pollen from an old flower to a newly opening one.
(amazingly the only flower that set seed was the first(&#33
wink.gif
flower ?!?)

I don't know if it one plant is enough, I had two flowering plants and I transferred pollen (not easy to release) between them. But at the time this flower was open, teh other plant didn't flower yet.

It seems that extrem bright light and heat(!?&#33
wink.gif
is necessary for seed set. (this flower had grown only 10cm under my 70 W lamp, and after that I removed the plant from there)

time from flower to seed : ~ 3 months
germination time : ~ 3 weeks

Martin

how many seeds were in one seed pod
how long have have the plant

thank you for your time

Back