What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are heliamdhoras safe for froggies

Hey all,

If I place a Heliamphora in a tank with poison dart frogs will the frogs be ok? Has anyone else done this? Is it even possible for these two beauties to live together? (Dendrobates & H. minor)

i thought helaimphoras liked it cool, and the frogs liked it warm?

if not then i want a heliamphora too!! how big to minors get anyway?

ok, now then. in savage garden it talkes about how frogs are found living in the pitchers unharmed in the wild, and in greenhouses, and some think that since there aren't many bugs where they live, the helaimphora benefits from frog poop since frogs are often found there.

i dont think it will hurt either. symbiotic relationship i guess. everyone wins.

very true justlikeapill, i would expect no frog to be harmed. Minors can get up to 6 inches I believe, but rather small. Hope it helps,
Kevin

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (sarracenialuver @ June 16 2003,3:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">very true justlikeapill, i would expect no frog to be harmed. Minors can get up to 6 inches I believe, but rather small. Hope it helps,
             Kevin[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
minor gets to 3 inches I think

6 inches, 3 inches, either way i have room for one in that case.

i'm not sure but maybe you could try some smaller nepenthes in there too... i think i remember reading something on blackjungle.com about hot the frogs are safe with nepenthes too.

Thanks for all your thoughts on the matter. I think I'll stick with Heliamphoras (H. minor or Heterodoxa x minor, cause they're small) since both they and p.d. frogs are from South America. I believe Nepenthes may be a bigger risk to the frogs, plus I'm not that experienced with CPs so I'm staying away from Nepenthes for a long while.

Have a good one, L.A. Traphole

does anyone no where to get the best bargan on any form of Heliamphora? they are very expensive!!

My PDFs do just fine with a ventricosa and a gracilis, I can't imagin a problem unless you have vents or imitators.

LOs Angels Traphole,

Nepenthes are fine with frogs. I have a couple that I occasionaly find hunting bugs from inside a pitcher.

The only nepenthes I think would be a problem with frogs are N. bicalcarata & hamata

Hamata

hmm... I was thinking N. Ampullaria because of the deep overhung peristome(as far as little vents and stuff are concerned anyway). Why do you say N. bical?

Joe

joseph, i think its because bicals have fangs. they are really sharp so i would think theres a chance for damaging the frog.

oh yeah bicals also can reach 4-6 feet in diameter.

Hello,

Pill, are bicalcarata really 4-6'? I've seen pictures of this plants, they're just soooo cool. I'd like to see pictures from anyone that grows this plants and I'd like info about how to keep them happy for years. Thanx

Saladshooter, Petflytrap might have a few Heliamphora left, call the 1800 number and find out. I think they are heterodoxa x minor, but not sure.

I was thinking about putting dart frogs in my terrarium, but ended up with the conclusion I didn't want to deal with their waste in the tank, and I thought, as some of you have, it would really suck if one tried to hang out in my Bical.
smile.gif

The waste isn't a problem. Most PDF tanks have false bottoms. If for some reason you feel the tank needs cleaning just spray down the inside with clean RO type water while the drain line is opened into a bucket. Really I've never had to do this yet.

Sharp fangs....hmm..I just thought they were for looks. I should have one by thursday, guess it's going in the greenhouse instead of with the froggies.

joe

Description: A large and unusual species from the peat swamps of northwestern Borneo. The sturdy pitchers bear two fangs which protrude from beneath the lid, giving this plant a fearsome appearance. The purpose of these fangs is questionable, but may serve to guide nectar-seeking insects directly over the pitcher mouth where they can easily fall into the fluid below. This species plays host to a symbiotic species of ant which make their nests in the hollow tendrils and are able to swim in the pitcher fluid to retrieve dead insects.
Cultivation recommendations: Requires warmth and plenty of space for growth. Leaves can attain lengths of nearly one meter. Although plants are occasionally found in waterlogged habitats, a well-drained media is recommended in cultivation.

thats from malaysian tropicals. everynow and then you hear about ones that are 4 plus feet wide.

Someone was selling a bical that was 4' diameter (IIRC) here not long ago.  Had it in a shower stall.  Mine's much smaller - it you want pics, LAT, look at the pinned nep pic thread, i put a couple there.

Wildbill has a frog that wanders around in his CP terrarium, randomly tracking gemmae around and such.  Also has guppies living in the bottom of it, if you can believe that!

Aren't some heliamphoras addicted to heat only?

do you have any pics of Wildbill's terrarium? i'd LOVE to see that!!

i think some heli's can take heat. as long as humidity stayd high. especially hybrids.

Come to think of it, so would i. I'll have to ask him to take a pic for us.

The species of Heliamphora I grow do not mind warm days, but they seem to do best with cool nights (80F max day/50F nights). I dont know about frogs though, some of the pitchers are very brittle and fragile. I guess it depends on the frog size. I have tried mixing plants and animals and have found that is doesn't really work for me.

Back