What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feeding my sarrs

For my Sarracenia Purpurea "Lowes variety", I am questioning what to feed it as it is in a terrarium. I've heard that milk is an option, but I was going to run it by y'all before I tried it. How much do you suggest if my pitchers are 4 inches? Does it actually work?

SF,
  I've had very favorable results with a few drops of milk in a couple of pitchers.  I used whole milk, but I've heard other people used different kinds, even someone used some whey (sp?) protein drink thingy  
confused.gif

Anyway, my experience dictates that a few days after a milk feeding, you'll have an explosion of pitcher developement.  I just did it, as a matter of fact, about a two weeks ago... There are 4 newly opened pitchers on my leuco, and three more yet to open.  Similar results on my rubra, leuco 'red', and purp. ssp venosa.

::edit:: Let me make one point, in hind sight: Make sure you only feed a few drops. Don't go and fill the whole pitcher with milk, you'll be asking for rot and fungus.

I feed my plants crickets and other insects that I find around my house. I have never tried the milk option, but feel that insects would be the way to go. A dozen crickets costs about $1.00.

Well, milk is pretty much only good for a once-a-month growth supplement. I give my now huuuuuuuuge S. pupurea ssp. venosa one drop of whole milk in just one of it's pitchers once a month. So, pretty much, one is the key word LOL!
tounge.gif
Anyhowees... I've been using 2% milk lately, but that will have no effect THIS month, since everything got dumped from the pitchers when the 5 foot tall, two foot wide greenhouse went ZOOM across the patio and then... nevermind. Soooooooooooo... usually, the result of the milk feeding is a HUUUUUUUUUUGE growth spurt, which is how my huuuuuuuuuuge S. purpurea ssp. venosa got huuuuuuuuuuge.

Good luck!
          FTG

Make sure your plants are'nt lactose and tolerant or else you'll end up with plants with diarhea
tounge.gif
lol , jk . i tried the milk thing but my mistake was that i filled up up to the brim so i got bad result there , i am going to add a few drops of milk to my sarracenia today to see what will happen .

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (goldtrap2690 @ July 10 2003,5:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Make sure your plants are'nt lactose and tolerant or else you'll end up with plants with diarhea  
tounge.gif
 lol , jk . i tried the milk thing but my mistake was that i filled up up to the brim so i got bad result there , i am going to add a few drops of milk to my sarracenia today to see what will happen .[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Issue number one: that's lactose intolerant LOL!

Issue number two: One! ONE DROP!!! GAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

P.S. I wouldn't call myself lactose intolerant... although my stomache can't take milk. I can drink milk mixed with anything, I can eat any dairy products. Fine. But milk... I like it a lot... but it makes my stomache feel like it went inside-out... bluuuuhhhhh...

SnowyFalcon,
In the days of yore (thats a long time ago
wink.gif

rolleyes.gif
) when RamPuppy was still a mod (and maybe before that, I can't recall for sure) he did an experiment with feeding milk to his CPs.  The topic is here: The Great Experiment, Fat Free Milk, Diluted Milk, Protein.  Check it out
biggrin.gif
.  It gives the pros and cons found by several people who tried this.

Hey, thanks Big Carn Kid, That link helped alot. I'll try it and see how things go.

Ok.. I added 1 drop of whole milk into 2 of the pitchers on my new Judith Hindle. Growwwww little plant growwwwwwww hehehe
biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the advice
smile.gif

Steve

Well here it is a week later, and my Judith Hindle has 2 baby pitchers comming up  
wow.gif

smile.gif

biggrin.gif
 Unfortunately I cant get my camera to get any good shots of them. Oh well.. you will just have to take my word for it hehe. I'll try to get some when they get big enough to focus on.

smile.gif

Steve

Yeah!!! It worked! The pitcher's are coming out twice as fast now! Thanks for all your input guys & gals.

SF

Hi, what's the frequency of the milk feeding? W;d once a week be ok?

NO!!! BIIIIIIIG NONO! LOL sorry... you should only feed a sarr milk once a month
biggrin.gif

Update:

ok I finally managed to get a somewhat decent pic of my new Judith Hindle pitchers. I fed 2 drops of milk 2 weeks ago and so far I have 4 new pitchers
smile.gif
 I apologise for the poor quality of the pics, its really hard to see the new growth
sad.gif
 but heres the pic

Enjoy
Steve

cppics72703003.jpg

The pitcher I'm pointing at is the smaller of the 2 that started growing last week, at the base of that pitcher is another one just budding out. The immature pitcher directly behind my finger is the other new one from last week (over 2 inches of growth in 1 week wahooo
smile.gif
)

Back