What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any Judith Hindle Pros?

• Thread starter Flint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    lady
I have been growing this lovely lady since last summer, I just can't seem to please her. And no, I don't think it's just because she's a woman. I mean, I can't seem to get the lighting and watering thing perfect for her. She isn't turning any of her deep purples and she has REALLY slowed down on her pitchering. Should I maybe trim her back a ways to encourage new growth?? I know someone out there has this species nailed down, advice would be great.

if you hadnt let the plant go dormant then that could be one reason why the plant isnt looking as good as normal it could also just be putting itself into dormancy. also more light can usually help

i grow this hybrid on my windowsill and in the winter, i place it out doors for dormancy. It grows well outdoors during the warmer months and it gets pretty red with srong lighgt. Mine gets like 3 hours of direst sun a day.

If my Judy got any more light she would be orbiting the sun. I know she's not lacking there. I trimmed her back a little bit, and found some (not much) new growth trying to come up, I think this will help.

It just dawned on me that she is probably not mature yet, that would make a differance right? I mean, the leaves have been growing good, just not colorful. I'm also going to try a dash of super-thrive once I can find it. She hasn't gotten a meal in like 4 months, no bugs anywhere and the pet store only carries large crickets, which there is not wat I am feeding to a plant, not unless I am really desperate.

First of all, is it dormant or just leaving dormancy? If you allowed it to grow all winter it may be exhausting itself. Second, Sarracenia really do not need to be fed - think of it as luxury consumption. If it's showing some signs of "sickness", it is highly doubtful that feeding it will cure it.

I'm starting to think it never quite went into dormancy. I kept it cold and cut back alot on water and light for the winter. But it won't seem to wake up.

I guess it depends whether you grow them inside or outside, and if outside, where you are at. I grow all of mine outside in Missouri and everything is still dormant as a doornail. Where I'm at, it takes a while for them to snap out of it and start growing. I don't really see any good growth until mid-late April. It sounds like you did exactly what they needed for dormancy, so I would guess they're still dormant. Just be patient. As long as you can still see some green or red at the base of the plant, it's still alive.

Oh now I remember, it's a silk plant. oops.

No just teasing, LOL.

Back