What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windowsill

Just wondering if I can windowsill grow darlintonia, s. purpurea, and s. flava?

All typical conditions would apply, distilled water, peat/sand or peat/perlite soil, lost of sun (very sunny window).

Any tips? These will be my first pitcher plants!
biggrin.gif

I sure that darlingtonia needs BIG terrario or greenhouse and same for sarracenias, with sarracenia purpurea terrario is easy to make because it is smaller than many others sarracenias.
besides go to page www.lihikset.net that only finland carnivorousplants page. I am sure that no one in here doesn`t
understand the language but look pictures or something.
Tommi Järvinen has made that page.

I have windowsilled every single one of those CP's. Purpurea is very happy as a windowsill plant and Darlingotnia is too. Flava will do ok as long as there is lots of sunlight. So jsut keep in mind SUNLIGHT is the most crucial factor during thier growing season. You do not need a terrarium or other enclosure to grow the plants you mentioned in either.

Thanks for the tips! The reason I wonder is only because I don't think I can fit all of these plants in my terrarium. My collection is quickly outgrowing my 23 gallon tank!
The only concern about the windowsill I have is that we are on the verge of getting our winter, and it gets down to -20 celcius fairly regularily. This window is the largest in our home, and also lets the most cold in. The sun conditions would be great...but would the cold from the window hurt them? From what I've read about purpurea, they should be fine as they survive fairly cool conditions well...I'm just not sure about the others!
smile.gif

ok...
I dont know that...
I belivie that nepenthes cracilis was right.

hey CN, where do you sleep? lol. I too am adding to my collection, but not at that rate, lol!

I sleep in my room.
wink.gif

Our room is at the opposite end of our small home, and it's often dark in there. So far no CP's are in there at all. They are all in my livingroom (4 vft's, 6 different varieties of sundews hopefully germinating and 1 d. capensis, 1 mimosa sensitive plant germinating and hopefully coming soon are the s. purpurea, darlingtonia, S. leucophylla, S. psittacina an ant plant and a butterwort). Soon I'm gonna have to move out!
biggrin.gif

Anywho, the livingroom window is very large, a bay window. I should be able to hang a couple of the pitcher plants in planters in the window I hope. There really is no other place for them...but I'll find a way!

The s. purpurea, darlingtonia, and the S. psittacina all enjoy having a very wet if not waterlogged soil. Sure your ceiling can handle the weight?

Ha! There's a good question! I'm in a mobile home (a nice one, but a trailor none-the-less). Cheesy board and not too strong. My best bet may be to find tall, strong floor standing planters that my kids and cat can't knock over. My hubby thought of putting a re-inforced chelf up in front of the window....but that may not even be strong enough.
confused.gif

Ha, Ha, HA...! For everyone that can grow Cp's on windowsills I am really jealous
mad.gif
wink.gif
. I tell ya it is just not fair
wink.gif
k/d. I just had to get that off my chess
wink.gif

travis

I know, I know...most of you say it can't be done...others have said that they have had beautiful pitcher plants successfully windowsill grown.

You're such a smart aleck anyway, ain't ya?
wink.gif

But, almost everyone also says that your vft will almost surely die if you let it flower...yet I have a beautiful flower on mine and more coming, and the flytrap is still growing beautiful, fast traps. I tend to like to believe in the impossible. *grin*

tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif

Back