What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Purpurea

hey, i just received my purpurea about 2 weeks ago, it is doin nicely, and i see the new ones turnin light red

but what i saw is that the top brim of the mouth turnin brownish, does this mean that the pitcher is dyeing?
and also i put soem distilled water in the pitchers, like half way and i was guessing that it catches the insects from them going into the water like nepenthes
so i took a small meal worm and put it in there about a day or 2 after i put the water in to give it a little food
smile.gif

please tell me if this was a good idea and why the brim is turning brownish, and it is green, when wouldi start seeing it go like blood red?

thanks

Hi Stefano,
Usually that is the first sign that a pitcher is on its way out, but is the pitcher itself one of the older ones ie is the leaf attached below the others on the crown?

All of last years pitchers are showing signs of age on all my plants including browning in the upper leaf area. Its only on freshly opened or new growth if something is wrong.

Purp also vary in their redness depending on season. Right now the plants in my collection lose some redness in the older leaves, but in the autumn time (fall), the go a very deep red. Also a lot depends on how much direct sunlight your plant will receive.

I hope that helps!

What Mike says is right on the dot. Yes, your Purpurea should go red in the early fall to mid/late summer. You all know my blood red one!
smile.gif
But it also depends on the spp. If yours is spp.Venosa (which it likely is) it probably will not go blood red like the spp.Purpurea which I have. I also have Venosa and the only very red Venosa gets is in the hood viens. and pitcher walls. While in Purpurea spp.Purpurea the whole pitcher and simetimes the whole palnt is deep blood red to marroon.

i think its venosa

i got it from pft.com
really noice, i cant wait to post pictures

and they are the bottom ones on the crown, so i think they are the old ones, and there are notsa new ones comin out,

when the whole leaf turns brown should i cut it off at the base of the leaf where it connects to the crown?

and are meal worms good for feeding em? thanks

If the whole leaf is brown, cut the leaf off close to the base.

You can feed the plants mealworm, but make sure they do not somehow escapte.

Back