What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia 'blood vessels'

It looks just like some of my S.purpureas. It's a nice plant but I don't see why it should be registered.

Looks like a really pumped up S. purp venosa var. burkeii. Nice variety.

The unregistered name is probably a marketing gimmick to get some fool to pay $15 or more plus shipping for a purpurea.

I agree with BobZ. It's a pretty gruesome name, though, isn't it?

check out plant delights , they have this plant for selll , i just think its a scam to get rid of old useless plants , there are also more weird names on that web site or sarrs .

I'm sure there are plenty of "promotional names" for other CPs. Cape sundews are often called, "Octopus plant". Pings are called, "fly-paper plants".

These "eye-catcher" names are for newbies willing to pay hyped-up prices for plants they know nothing about. It's like the "pet rock" (for those old enough to remember
rolleyes.gif
) buying phenomena.

There's alway a sucker around every corner
tounge.gif

I bet if it was placed in full sun, it would look just like all the other purpurea venosa's out there. Why? because thats all it is!

Kinda looks like mine... freakishly pumped and heavily veined
tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (WayCool @ May 31 2003,10:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm sure there are plenty of "promotional names" for other CPs. Cape sundews are often called, "Octopus plant". Pings are called, "fly-paper plants".

These "eye-catcher" names are for newbies willing to pay hyped-up prices for plants they know nothing about. It's like the "pet rock" (for those old enough to remember
rolleyes.gif
) buying phenomena.

There's alway a sucker around every corner  
tounge.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
fly-paper cps is a real nickname. any cp that is sticky has a nickname of "fly-paper", or "active Fly-paper"

Here's the same thing for a penny more.

'Blood Vessel'

Spectabilis73 found the site. I just backtracked from his link in his 'Flies Demise' post to find the pic.

If you plan on buying plants off e-bay, and I don't discourage that, I have got a few great deals from one of our better known nurseries on some neps, I would encourage you to buy off the scientific name, not the cultivar name, unless it really is a cultiver.

THis person looks like a con artist to me. As Purpera go, its a gorgeous specimen, but nothing special, and certainly not worthy of a cultivar name.

I checked to see what other stuff this person sells was and it was all dolls and doll clothing. This seems to be the only plant he is offering for sale
confused.gif

Back