What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone know how to keep a pitcher beautiful in fl?

Do you any of you people know how to keep a purple pitcher plant looking beautiful in Florida? if you could help that would be very much thanked

Well, I'm in Florida, and my S. purpurea ssp. venosa(purple pitcher plant)is huge and fat and heavily veined
biggrin.gif
I give it as much direct, full sun as possible, every day if possible, and make sure the watering tray always has at least a half inch of distilled water in it. I make sure that the pitchers are always full of distilled water. Also, to harmlessly spur it into a healthy, big growth spurt, I give one pitcher one drop of milk(any kind at all, but preferalby whole, vitamin D milk)once a month; that's one reason why mine is so big.

That's pretty much it!

Good luck!
FTG

Oh i'll try that....thankyou for the help. i never knew you put milk in a pitcher plants....how do they sprout flowers? do all of them do that or only a few of them? well thankyou again for the help...thankyou.
Bubblegirl
alien.gif

Well, I'm not very sure about purp's flowers... mine hasn't flowered yet to my knowledge. But if you want to see pics, just cruise through the forum, and you will find some pics! And yes, all pitcher plants flower.

Good luck!
smile.gif
FTG

They'll sprout flower(s) in the spring, after dormancy. They tend to flower at 5 or 6 years old if given plenty of sun and insects.

Oh so....do you know what kind of bugs they really prefer? ants....do they like slugs?....thankyou
*Bubblegirl*

Hey Flytrap, Is the drop of milk in lieu of what the catch naturally. I just aquired two pitchers the other day am new careing for them. One has twenty-nine pitcher and four new ones on the way...shouldn't take more than a pint to keep him happy.
But if they eat as well as my VFTs I wonder if I will have to bother.
smile.gif

Purpureas will eat anything you put into the pitchers, alive or dead. If you find some dead flies on a windowsill, put them in! (unless they've been fly sprayed).
Slugs are also good, although they can be a bit smelly for a couple of days.

Oh thankyou guys for the help....It is thanked.
*Bubblegirl*

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lauderdale @ July 05 2003,5:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey Flytrap,  Is the drop of milk in lieu of what the catch naturally.  I just aquired two pitchers the other day am new careing for them.  One has twenty-nine pitcher and four new ones on the way...shouldn't take more than a pint to keep him happy.
But if they eat as well as my VFTs I wonder if I will have to bother.
smile.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Well, it certainly doesn't replace bugs, but it sure helps it in growing!
biggrin.gif

What kind a milk?
wow.gif
bubblegirl

Well, like I said, pretty much any kind. But whole, Vitamin D milk works best.

Good luck!
FTG

Thankyou guys very very Much!!you all helped. good luck with all your plants!!
*Bubblegirl*

Back