What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Get those pics!

This is about the rarest plants I grow:
S%20purpurea%20ssp%20venosa%20var%20luteola,PV11,green%20mutant%20form.jpg

S%20leucophylla%20heterophylla,l46.jpg

And this is about the nicest leuco I have (that is until the 'Titan' grows up!!
S%20leucophylla,L18,SMc,Autumn.jpg

Here are a couple...

S_leuc_web.jpg

S_partytime_web.jpg

S_purpurea_vein_web.jpg

Beautiful pics you guys!

Well here are mine, though most people have probably seen them before.

sflavaredtubeRSb.jpg

and...

sleuco.jpg

Suzanne

Here's a freshly opened S. alata "nigrapurpurea". I actually wish it would stay this color instead of turning black-red. You can also see the antennae of a grasshopper on the far side. It soon became dinner for this plant.
alatanigra.jpg

Were did you get that, Mr. Sarracenia?

Here are 2 different alata 'black tube' clones
S%20alata,'blacktube,A28,pubescent',A,.jpg

and the other
S%20alata,%20'Black%20tube'.De%20Soto,A26.jpg

Here's a bunch more:

alabxpsittxal.jpg

This is alabamensis x (psittacina x alabamensis)

conglomerate.jpg

I don't know what this one is, probably a leuco x flava, maybe a 2nd generation, or with some backcrossing.

excellensxreadii.jpg

This is S. excellens x readii

flavaxpsitt.jpg

A homely-looking flava x psittacina

ladiesinwaitingggg.jpg

This is the cultivar 'Ladies In Waiting' with some knocked over pitchers of something else.  The lg. veined lid behind them is a flava ornata x purpurea.

leucoxgilpini2.jpg

This is leucophylla x gilpini.

leucoxwrig.jpg

A bright and out of focus (sorry) leucophylla x wrigleyana.

mgras.jpg

The cultivar 'Mardi Gras'

mitchxrubragulf.jpg

S. rubra gulfensis x mitchelliana

monstermash.jpg

An unknown, probably has flava and minor in it, and who knows what else, if anything.

Here's one of my unknown hybrids:

12130335-2979-01470112-.jpg

12130339-5e8d-01100188-.jpg

I did think it could be wriglyana x leucophylla or wriglyana x rubra, but after seeing Sarracenia's photos I'm stumped again!

It still could be. From any particular cross, you're going to get a wide range of appearances among the offspring, and even more variance if a hybrid is selfed.
That plant in the pic definitely has psittacina in it, based on the ala alone. The very rounded hood leads me to believe it has flava in it. What else, it's hard to guess really. It could be something along the lines of (flava x
confused.gif
) x psittacina, or flava x (psittacina x
confused.gif
). I guess I would lean towards the latter, because most hybrids I've seen that are 50% psittacina still have a somewhat closed-up and bent-over hood. Flower color could help somewhat.

I really like the plant though, nice coloration.

Impressive collection and pics everyone.
biggrin.gif

Here is my S. purpurea with a stupic cricket. I put this cricket in the terrarium this morning and now the cricket it just sitting in the pitcher. I don't think it has a clue as to what is going to happen to it.

SpurpureaCricket1.jpg

SpurpureaCricket2.jpg

Nick

Thanks Sarracenia (it's Aaron isn't it?)
I hate it when I don't know what's in a hybrid. Hopefully flower colour should help too, yes.

I tried to post a picture of my judith hindle but the picture kept coming up huge, how do I downsize the size of the picture?

Very nice pics everyone!
smile.gif

Ok Guys,
This is a hybrid I will register with the ICPS this winter. It will be an absolute hit. It is an excellens backcrossed with leucophylla and is at its best around Christmas time when virtually every other Sarra is looking very shabby.

S%20x%20'Diane%20Whittaker',H2,Autumn%20pitchers,Jan%202001.jpg

It is called 'Diana Whittaker' after a friend who helped me in my earlier days of expanding my collection. The plant grows upto 2 1/2 feet tall and has spectacular Autumn (fall) pitchers

Sx'Diane%20Wittaker'%20A,H2.jpg

Back