What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What?

Do the sarracenias need a period of dormancy?

Yes

Sarracenia prefer a dormancy period of 3-5 months, however there are those in Hawaii that grow them and they just shut down when they don't want to grow and start back up again. They are more robust in appearance and more vigorous if proper dormancy is observed.

What happens if I don't give him a proper dormancy period? Will it die like the vft's?

Back in my younger days I had a S. purperea and S. rubra that I didn't allow to go dorment( didn't know they had to and I had them indoors under grow lights) they were nice and healthy for over a year, then the pitchers turned brown and died down to the crown and then that turned to mush. I didn't know what went wrong until years later when I read they needed a dorment period. Now I keep them outdoors and allow them to go dorment naturally, and there just beautiful!
Hope this helps,Jack.

Back