What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can i use this?

FlytrapGurl

apple rings.. what more can i say?
Can I use an aluminum pie plate for a watering tray for my purpurea?

I have very little time right now so please answer ASAP.

Anybody?

I would think in the short term that it would be alright, but I'm not sure about long term.

What I have found works well is the foam or plastic trays that you get meats and vegitables in from the supermarket.

I preffer the plastic ones since they are deeper.

I agree with Maehem, short term should be alright...but from the sitting water, any imperfections (scratches, nicks..), I believe could cause it to rust...i'd try to stick with glass, plastic, or even that foamy stuff from vegetables or meat.
smile.gif

Thanx guys! I just cut off the bottom of an empty half-gallon milk jug and used it instead.

Problem solved!
smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vertigo @ Feb. 19 2003,1:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I agree with Maehem, short term should be alright...but from the sitting water, any imperfections (scratches, nicks..), I believe could cause it to rust[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Just a clarification. Aluminum does not rust, that is a trait specific to iron
smile.gif
It will oxidize however and the reactive byproducts will probably be not too good for CPs so the answer is still the same.

I suspect it would only acidify the water and subsequently the soil media.

Aluminum oxide reacts with water to form Aluminum hydroxide which is basic. (4 years as a chemistry tutor and I can't get this junk out of my head
smile.gif
)

You're right! I was thinking of one of it's sulfur compounds that we use for turning Hydrangias blue.

I don't have any clue what that compund would be. Aluminum sulfide maybe
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Back