What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. purpurea on a windowsill?

Cynic81

Frakkin Toaster
I've been debating on whether or not to rescue a sweet looking purpurea from lowe's. The issue hinges on whether or not I can grow this plant on a window sill that, while it gets a good amount of light, recieves no direct sunlight (I'd grow it in a sunnier location but my college dorm faces the wrong direction). If not, can I put it under the artificial light I'm planning for my other CPs (A vft and 2 S. Leucophyllas)?

Grown in shaded areas, S. purpurea will grow more green and have little or no purple viening. It is possible to grow them in windows. I currently have one in a East facing window and under flourescent lighting. I keep the window shaded closed as it heats the room up to a horrid temperature due to a flat black roof that sends the heat right into this room.

You may want to put your S. purpurea on a stand or inverted pot to get it as close to the lights as possible. Your S. leucophylla and S. purpurea will do fine together as well as the vft. You will just want to raise the S. purpurea and vft as close to the lighing as possible.

Hope this helps,

I just found out today that my room faces east, as well as a building which onscures most of the view. How much light would an east facing window 9 stories up normally get? Going from that I can probably judge how much light it gets myself. And I rescued the Purpurea: it's currently sitting in my kitchen by the sliding glass door, having been repotted into a mix of sand and peat (Never trust the stuff Lowe's puts it in).

Hey Cynic,

I'm not sure where you live, but I keep my s.purpurea in an east-facing window. It's on the second story but behind a hill so it doesn't get as much direct light. About 3 hours of direct sun, the rest of the day indirect. Think about it this way: if you took a nap in the sun where your plant sits, would your skin turn red?
smile.gif

This is a pic after owning the little plantlet I got from the store for about 5 months. The newest pitcher is starting to get some red veining but I didn't change its location at all. I believe some of the coloration comes from the age of the plant too, easier to get the darker color as it gets older.

purpurea.jpg

Mine do fine on mine a south facing window. But it has a humongous tree in front of it.

Back