What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darn cobra lilies

I am relatively new at the cp thing and was wondering if my failure to have a californica grow for me for more then a month then die is all that unusual. I cannot get them to stick around. One I had was doing ok, then kaput. Any growing tips on them? I have relatively good luck with the others, even the nepenthes. any help would be appreiciated.

well let me tell you this. You first must kill 4 or 5 to try and figure it out as I have. First of all I am growing mine in a specially built garden cart highly modified for cp's. anyhow My cobra's in there are in deep narrow plastic jugs like the ones used for keeping cereal. ie 10.5" high x 6" long x 4" deep. I fill it up with a nice mix of long fibered spagnum and perlite. Then I make a few holes about 1 to 2 inches from the bottom upwards on the side of the container to allow for drainage. But what I found out is suppling air to the roots is more important than temp. What I do next is install a air stone with a hose and hook it up to a aquarium pump. when you fill up the container from the top with water the water will flow out of the holes so you will not have a problem with rot. But there will be enough water left that the air stone which is lying on the bottom of the container will circ. the remaining water and create movement of air. I continue to water my plants once a day from the top just to create a little more of a flush which I'm sure the plants won't mind. Also the temp of the soil remains at around 67 to 70F. as it is in my basement which is the coolest place in the house to keep one.

good luck
Andrew

I grow mine in pure spaghnum(sp) moss. It is growing just great.

Wes

The trick to growing darlingtonias is you have to keep the roots cool. This can be achieved by watering it from above with refrigerated distilled water. Depending on the outside temps, you may need to water it up to three times a day (if it gets really hot). They also don't like a lot of direct afternoon sun. Try to let them get a lot of morning an evening sun, then put them in a shaded spot during the harshest hours of the afternoon.

biggrin.gif
thanks for all the advice. I had one outside for a bit then did something I shouldn't and see ya later. I don't really have a good place to grow them as of yet. They frustrate the heck out of me and now that I want to get a few and try them out again, I cannot find one anywhere around here. I've already killed four and I would like to grow the next ones. Anywho, thanks for all the advice, especially the growing container.

Andrewsx is about right. lol Most people kill quite a few before having success. I killed 2-3 but now mine are doing ok. I don't have any fancy set up with air stones and such but they are doing pretty good in LFS moss and cool waterings and larger, undrained containers. You can also freeze distilled water and put the cubes on the soil where it will melt and wash the roots with cool water.

Suzanne

Back