What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Sarrs are being strange

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
At the risk of sounding stupid, what could be causeing a couple of my Sarrs to have fits of wilting?

I know it isn't a lack of water.

Here is a bit more background:

It is only happening on 2 of my Sarrs. I keep all of them on my patio, they get direct sun from noon-3 and dappled sun the rest of the day. In the morning all of them are fine, rigid, standing tall and all that. When I get home though the flower (and only the flower, not the stalk or the developing pitchers) of my oreophila is hanging limp and the full flower stalks and developing pitchers on my excellens are either hanging limp or falling over. It is only happening with these 2 plants, my minor, which is in the same container as the excellens, is happy, my 'Dixie Lace' is growing strong and my 'Mardi Gras' is getting so tall that I am afraid my upstairs neighbors might cut it down because it is obstructing their view (okay not really but you get the point.)

Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Pyro

Hi Pyro,
Did you repot them this year?

No on the oreo, yes on the excellens, but it was way early in the year and I transplanted the minor at the same time and, like I said, it isn't having any problems.

I have a strange thought. Is it possible to over water them? Suffocating the roots or something? I ask because I have been treating them the same as my Darlingtonia, aspirating the water from their trays and squirting it around the base of the plant to drain through the pot, a few times a day.

Pyro

Hi Pyro,
Sarras like the tray method of watering, now what you have done in not something I would do by treating it the same as a Darlingtonia.
Sometimes after repotting and if the compost in the pot is not compact enough then the plant cannot get the quantity of moisture through (thru) to the roots for the new growth to remain turgid. The other thing is check for signs of mould disease as symptoms could be what has happened to your plants. If not, then just press the compost a bit tighter and add more to the pot if neccessary. This will give the roots more contact area to absorb water.
Try that and let us know!

Good growing!

Mike,

Alright no more top watering and I'll tamp the pots to get them compacted. I thought about mould but that they seem to "recover" over night made me thing that was not it. Maybe I'll give them a spritz with some BanRot just to be safe (after all something is weakening them so they are probably more vulnerable.) I'll give it a few days and hopefully this time next week I can report progress.

Wish me luck

Pyro

OK Pyro,
Sometimes that happens to me and yesterday a newly potted plant did exactly the same as yours! So I quickly pressed the soil firmer and everything seems OK

Have a nice weekend

Back