What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aphids?

I have a 8 year old ceph that I just repotted in a new pot.
Now one month later I see little bugs hopping around white, brown, black. When I blow the suface they hop other than that they just crawl around. The ceph was pretty big but when I repotted it I cut it down so I can grow it from ground up again. I was thinking of using some sort of insecticed but which one is best and how do I mix it and how often do I apply it. Also will it harm the plant now that it is shooting up some new spurts of growth.

Thanks Andrew

Last year I put my vft`s outside to feed,they ended up covered in aphids from my rose bushes. I know a lot of people don`t like to use chemical sprays, I used Ortho Rose and Flower Insect Killer with no ill effects to my plants.

Normally I submerge my plants to take care of aphids, but I don't think I would try it on a Ceph.

Take a look at the following page and scroll to the bottom;

http://www.cephalotus.info/cephalotusfollid.html You might also want to email Jonathan directly from that site and see what he recommends.

Good Luck

WildBill

Andrew,
Aphids don't hop. I am not sure what you have. I have a similar sounds bug that gets in the spaghnum moss of my seedling sarracenias but appears to be harmless and actually with a good disturbance, (I blow on them) they jump into the pitchers and feed the plants. I see really good results from these insects. I know that does not help your situtation. See if you cannot identify them.

Just a suggestion if you want to try something without using pesticides:
I bought some plants at a store on father's day... part of their special was to give away small vft's and bags of ladybugs. I was happy to have the ladybugs! My brassia orchid went from clean and happy one night to covered with aphids OVERNIGHT! The blooms on four spikes were just opening and I was scared I'd lose them all. I unleashed 300 ladybugs on the plant and the aphids were gone the next day! I was told also that the ladybugs will also find and eat the aphid eggs which sit around all winter and hatch in the spring. Let's hope so. A month later I'm still finding ladybugs on the couch and in the kitchen, and I'm afraid a few may have become meals for the neps and sarrs, but everyone is aphid-free.
It's worth a shot! You can find bags of ladybugs, and even praying mantis egg cases, at most garden centers and hardware stores.
HOLDEN
smile.gif

Back