What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions on sarracenia and

L

Lumpy

I recently purchased 3 pitcher plants. A Nepenthes rafflesiana, a Sarracenia "Dana's Delight", and a Sarracenia "Scarlet Belle". When they arrived (from shipment I assume), they didn't have any liquid in thier traps. Do they produce their own, or should I add a little distilled water to them? Also, a few of the mature traps were brownish and dried out. Is that part of the change of humidity? I don't see and critters in the pot or on the plants.

Thanks!

Greg

greg,
people usually dump out any fluid that is in the pitchers before shipment. you can put a little distilled water in them (i usually do), but they should produce their own fluid in time. just remember that nepenthes sometimes take a long time to recover from shipping shock and settle into their new environment.

peace,
technoracer

Ok, I'll add a little water to them, since it won't hurt them. Thanks!

As far as the Sarracenias, those two don't need any water in their pitchers.

K, I didn't add water to the Sarrs.  On a side note, I'm still trying to figure out what level of moisture should be in the soil.  If you press on the soil, should you see water?  I know you're supposed to let many of these plants sit in a tray of 1/4" to 1/2" of distilled water, but to me, the plants seem too wet.  What's the trick?

Most Sarr's can tolerate somewhat dry conditions. And too wet can be a problem for most as well. It's hard to say what a good rule of thumb is. Here's what I do and have had excellent results. If I have a six inch (in width) pot, I'll keep it in an 8" saucer that is around 1.5" deep. I'll water the plant through the pot until the saucer starts overflowing. Then I won't water again until the saucer's been bone dry for a day or two.

Ok, I'll try that. These are the first Sarrs I've had, and I want to start them off right. I have a couple of VFTs as well, one of which I just can't seem to get growing. I believe it has to do with the moisture, but I've cut back and still see poor results. Since I'm new to these kind of plants, I need all the advice I can get! Thanks for your help!

Back