What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skin

I feed my purp way too much... Its like the trash bin for extra bugs I cought... Anyhow, that is probably the reason right there, and I"ll stop, but I was jsut wondering, are they supposed to stink?! Also, there is skin growing on the surface of the water.... ugh... Is that because of too many bugs? Will it stop stinking once its done??? PLEEEEASE do!

They sink but don't stink, at least I've never smelled anything foul
smile.gif
Your purp needs a diet!

Yeah, you might want to starve it for a little while. I'm sure the skin is a bacteria: probably what's contributing to the smell. I'd empty the pitcher and rinse it out.

That skin is technically called a "bio-film" and is likely composed of both bacteria and fungi. It is indeed the source of the stink. Sarracenia is probably right that you should wash it out, but be careful not to splash it around too much and wash you hands afterwards. Bio-film can be the source of some pretty nasty diseases like Legionnarie's.

Pyro

I did that to mine too, did not cause any problems though, the plant seemed to handle it just fine, but you did not want to get your nose around it!

Actually I think you should leave it. The one's out in the bogs around here are REALLY stinky after about a weeks old! They mostly catch slugs and flies which really stink up the water. I almost always get a slight smell off of Purp water. So i'd leave it as it is benifiting the plant, but if it starts to eat through the pitcher clip it and ditch it.

Its not like SO malodorous that you cant come in my bedroom or anything, Its just when you get so close you could almost take the juice as a shot that you really smell it...

Will it go away though? I dont care either way I suppose... I am somewhat reluctant to empty it tho... I JUST repoted it so I dont want to do it again... I think i'lll tamp the dirt a bit tho, just to make sure of all that root contact stuff... Mine is like, sand, perlite, and peat...

You can probably just scoop the bio-film out w/ a spoon, then disinfect your spoon and hands afterwards.

Bio-film is great stuff! If you're really lucky your're already breeding ebolla or somethin gfun like that. Just leave it out for the neighbors dog to investigate. Then you can be rid of those unsightly yellow streaks on your hubcaps. Naw, nevermind, is probably just stinky and that's as far as it goes. Just remember, plants really dislike popourri. I think it has smething to do with canabalism.

how wouyld you empty out the pitchers? i fed my purp meal worms and in 1 of em i found white stuff on top, i was like, HOLLY SHEET!

then i lightly squeezed the pitcher to mix it around, no harm done just a little shake and it was gone, the water is brown,.

how would i empty it?

When I have something that HAS to come out of a pitcher like a Sarr, I turn it upside down and dump it in the trash, then I replace the pitcher fluid with pure water and it does ok. My plants are used to getting refilled with pure water though cause on very hot days they almost completely dry out inside. If I know it's gonna be a real scorcher I fill them to the rim to help them out. The joys of raising CP's in the desert! hehe.

Hi,
I would just leave it, would you deny your plant its meal? You don't want the poor thing to starve?

Back