What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

darlingtina struggling

my cobra plant, when i first recieved it, was growing very well..
since then, no new growth and the existing stalks are wilting...

HELP!

i keep it in a humid greenhouse, not too much direct light but plenty indirect light every day...

i give it a bit of cool water every day (distilled of course) but it seems to be struggling pretty bad

any ideas?

I've seen the same thing happen with a couple of plants. They still haven't recovered after about 2 months. It was suggested by a grower that since I live in a warm climate I should try to reverse the growing cycle by forcing them into dormancy in the summer and growing in the winter (he does this). To do this he bags them up and puts them in the fridge until October or so then grows them through the winter months. I haven't tried this but if things don't start happening soon I'll give it a try. Hope it's not too late.

thnkas dyflam..

lets keep each other posted on progress...

Hi Chris,
Without seeing your plant, I don't know what state it is in. Darlingtonia is one of those plants that need a bit of different care from other pitcher plants. I water everyday from ABOVE using coool water with a watering can fitted with a rose. 1 tray gets 10 litres and the plants flourish. They are also in the cool end (by the door of the greenhouse).

With your plant wilting, is it the new or old growth?

I also got a new Darlingtonia few weeks ago it stay on the button of my terrarum which kept the temp. about 75 F at day time and 65 F during night time the humidity kept over 60% and it's in water tray 2-3 times a day I add distilled water ice cubes and it's grow nicely the first new leaf is about 12" and still growing and 2 more leaves on the way.
arie

the older leaves that were established when i got the plant have turned brown and it is the new growth that is wilting..

i water overhead with cool distilled water every day, so i know i have that part right...

i think ill try the ice thing again, i was doing so at first but got lazy..

the plant remained healthy for a few weeks but now that it is getting hot, i think i need the ice cubes again...

ill let you guys know what happens

Hi Chris
Darlingtonia like cool night time temps, try flushing cool water befor going to bed, maybe add ice cubes at this time to. Hope this works. Jack.

I think since you've only had it for a a short time its not used to the conditions what you described happens to me once in a while. Plant looks like its fine in conditions that I give it , plant plant begins to decline, plant then comes back with new fast growing growth. I think your just in the second stage O' the process.

Back